IP reservation not working

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-02-04 17:04:06
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.6.6 Build 20230110 Rel.41561

Hello,

I have a Star Network with 3 DECO M5.

I have a good HP LaserJet printer, that is Ethernet connected (rj45) to a Vornest VAP11G-300 WiFi Bridge/Repeater (it is in bridge mode).

The bridge is WiFi connected to one slave DECO M5 . 

I can reserve a IP address for the bridge, but not for my printer !

The printer take an IP, through Brigde, that receives from master DECO M5, but DECO M5 do not find my printer!

The printer is not in Clients window of Deco App and I can't find it in "Address reservation"., it is not in + when I press. 

The printer work fine, but I must have a fixed IP, if not, I can not print, since the address changes often.

With "Advanced IP Scanner" find the IP address and MAC Address of my printer, but DECO don't find.

I tried with other network scanner, the printer is found.

Is a bug, or it is possible that DECO finds my printer and its mac address, or this possibility was not investigated.

Thanks for a reply

Options
7 Reply
Re:IP reservation not working
2023-02-04 21:17:11 - last edited 2023-02-04 21:18:00

@AndyHu 

If you are sure that printer is getting IP address from Deco, you can try this:

Unplug Vornest VAP11G-300 WiFi Bridge/Repeater from printer. Bring Satellite Deco and printer close together. Connect them by Ethernet cable. You should now see printer in the list of devices in Deco app. Follow Deco IP reservation process and reserve IP address for printer.

Now restore back your original setup, with WiFi Bridge/Repeater. If you printer does request IP address from Deco mesh, next time it does it should get fixed IP address as configured in Deco.

Options
2023-02-06 11:46:08

@Alexandre. 

Hello Alexandre,

I tried your steps, it's the same and unfortunately it doesn't work.
DECO M3 gives an address to my HP LaserJet 3005n printer, but does not appear in "choose a device" to reserve an IP address, yet DECO does give an IP address.

I started to dig into my problem and found that I did something stupid !

Sorry...

By the way, I assigned the IP address in the printer configuration, instead of putting assigned by DHCP.

Sorry, and thanks again.

Options
2023-02-06 12:51:22 - last edited 2023-02-06 12:51:47

@AndyHu 

Glad you figured it yourself. That was on the list of my suspects and one of the reasons I asked to connect printer to Deco directly. Deco mesh does not like devices that have static IP address configured on them, even if it is in the proper IP range. Deco won't show such device and you can't manage it through Deco.

So, I did expect you might tell Deco mesh still does not see printer directly connected to it and planned to reply, in that case, that you should check IP configuration settings on printer.

Hopefully it'll be smooth sailing after that point.

Options
2023-02-07 10:36:43

@Alexandre

Hi,

After 1 day, turned off the printer, turned it on several times, then spent a night having turned it off, "DECO" no longer recognizes the printer.

I can see it with a ping, with "Advanced IP Scanner" and IP Scan apps on my smartphone.

This situation is really more than unpleasant.

Why it is not possible to manually add a device with its name or with the MAC address.

There is still a problem with DECO 3, with its scan on its network.

I do not know what to do... angry

Best regards

Options
2023-02-07 12:37:23 - last edited 2023-02-07 12:37:34

@AndyHu 

The only option I can suggest is to bring Satellite Deco and printer together and connect them to each other with Ethernet cable. 

That's what I have at my house: printer connected to M5 with Ethernet cable, and no matter what happens with printer: turn it off/on, restart, reboot Satellite Deco it is connected to - I can always see printer in Deco app and can access it from all my home computers.

Options
2023-02-07 13:00:27

@Alexandre. 

Thank you, unfortunately I know that.

Given that the printer is more than 10m from the DECO, and that it is very complicated to patch an Ethernet cable, this cable solution does not suit me.

It's still unpleasant to see that DECO does not detect devices, while all my devices detect it.

I have 18 devices: PCs, Laptops, Smartphones, Inverter, iO HomeControl, Smart Thermostats, etc. all find the printer.

I hope that in one of the next updates this problem will be solved.

Options
2023-02-07 14:20:46

@AndyHu 

In summary, you have the following options:

1. Wait till next M5 firmware upgrade and see if there is a fix. Yours are on the latest just recently released firmware, so it might be a long wait;

2. Take one of your Satellite M5 and bring it to where printer is. Put them side by side and connect with Ethernet cable;

3. Buy additional single M5 unit, add it to Deco mesh as Satellite,  bring it to where printer is and connect with Ethernet cable.

Options