Unable to succesfully setup WDS Bridging

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-02-06 14:42:13

Hello everyone, 

I have a TL-MR6400 v5 (2.4ghz 4G LTE router) setup as my main router (with internet from SIM).

I have an Archer C6 v2, setup as WDS Bridge on 2.4 ghz band (using user guide pdf manual, also same info from www.tp-link.com/support/faq/1555/)

LAN IP set to 192.168.1.2 same subnet as the root router (192.168.1.1). Also outside DHCP range IPs from root router.

DHCP is set to disabled.

WDS status shows Run.

But WDS is not working at all.

There is no internet shared from the root router, when trying to connect to either wi-fi or lan ports (cable) on the extended router (Archer C6 v2).

What is it I am missing to get it working?

The channel from Wi-fi Properties on the extended router (Archer C6 v2) is grayed out, probably because it auto configures it to be the same with the channel from the root router 2.4ghz wi-fi.

Passwords for wi-fi on both routers are different. Do they have to have the same? (I have not tried that yet, as I am not currently at home

I am aware WDS bridging only requires the WDS setting on either the root router or the extended router, on either 2.4GHz or 5GHz; No need to setup this up on both sides or bands.

As far as I know the main router does not support WDS bridging (cannot be used as wds bridge)

WDS can be setup and run correctly ony if it is supported by both routers (and setup, enabled on the router chosen as bridge)?

Or it suffices to be supported by the extended router only?

Thank you.

Options
2 Reply
Re:Unable to succesfully setup WDS Bridging
2023-02-07 03:38:40 - last edited 2023-02-07 14:17:58

@clabr 

From your description, you're doing it just right and you're using the correct guide for building WDS with Archer C6 v2.

1. Building WDS requires settings only on the extended router.

2. SSIDs and wireless passwords on the root router and the extended router doesn't have to be the same.

Although this is a quote from another TP-Link WDS building guide (for the old green UI):

"In order to build a successful WDS connection between different devices, it requires that both devices usethe same wireless MAC address format.For example,Site A uses 4-address MAC Address format in passive WDS bridge mode,Site B also uses 4-address MAC Address format in active WDS bridge mode.

WDS may be incompatible between different products (even occasionally from the same vendor) since the IEEE 802.11-1999 standard does not define how to construct any such implementations or how stations interact to arrange for exchanging frames of this format.-----From Wikipedia"
You may try to connect your Archer C6 v2 to some other wireless router just to test if you can build WDS successfully.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
Re:Unable to succesfully setup WDS Bridging
2023-02-07 11:35:47

@terziyski 

As far as I know and remember (but I'll have to recheck) they both have 6 byte MAC address format. They are both common, consumer level routers. So I really don't think they could be different in this regard, and that this could be the culprit.

I've found researching on internet, they don't have to have both WDS Bridging capabilities, only the router that is chosen to be used as bridge.

In my case, Archer C6 v2 has it, TL-MR6400 v5 (main router) doesn't.

So, this is good to know.

Still don't know what should I try next to be sure they are really incompatible and there's nothing I can do.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 450

Replies: 2

Related Articles