Reserved IP - user defined name and maximum number of reservations etc

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-02-17 09:35:45
Tags: #Access Control #IP Reservation
Model: Archer AX90  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Looking to purchase an Archer AX90 or similar in the UK.
Can you please confirm :

1) Does this allow up to 64 reserved IP addresses in DHCP?

2) Do all AX series allow up to 64 reserved IP addresses?

3) Do the reserved IP addresses have to be in or out of the DHCP allocation range, or either?

( so reserved IP addresses can be seen in different range to dynamic 'tourists' etc)

4) Do the reservations on this or other models allow a user-defined name/description to be entered?

( screen shots on online help/manuals are conflicting on this).

Thanks

Options
9 Reply
Re:Reserved IP - user defined name and maximum number of reservations etc
2023-02-21 13:51:51

@tamefox Anyone?

Options
2023-02-23 20:06:20

@tamefox 

The reserved DHCP addresses are addresses within the DHCP server's range. You can assign fixed (or static) IP addresses that are outside of that range. To give an example, a router typically uses an IP address such as 192.168.1.1 with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0. The IP addresses 192.168.1.0 and 192.168.1.255 are reserved for the network and can not be assigned.  Therefore your DHCP server range in theory can assign all the remaining addresses, i.e. 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.254.  In practice, from my experience, the DHCP server is configured with something like 192.168.1.33 to 192.168.1.191 which is an ample range.  This allows you to assign the remaining IPs as static IPs to devices on your network that might need them, such as dedicated PCs, other routers, switches, etc.  Personally, I only use any DHCP reserved addresses for devices like IP cameras which have a web interface. This makes it easier to access the cameras.  You might also use reserved DHCP addresses for your own devices, such as tablets, phones, etc., therefore leaving the remainder of unused addresses for the "tourists".  Remember too that you will need the MAC address of any device to assign it a DHCP reserved IP. 

WRT the maximum number of reserved DHCP addresses on the AX series routers, I don't know.  It is just a question of entering them to see how many the router will take.  Perhaps someone else knows or has tried to see how many can be entered.

Options
2023-02-23 20:23:33

@tamefox 

As a follow on, I see that I did not address your last question.  I use the AX55 routers here and in the Address Reservation section, on the DHCP page of the web interface, the Device Name that appears is the device name from the clients list.  If you edit the name in the clients list from UNKNOWN to something like Camera_1, then the router remembers that name and associates it with the MAC address.  That name will then appear in the reserved addresses section.  I think the name can also be edited with the Tether utility.

Options
2023-02-25 17:26:04

@jra11500 

Thanks for your 2 replies.

My problem is fairly simple in that I want to pre-allocate IP addresses to a number of items in a variety of ranges - for easy recognition when troubleshooting.

e.g. :

nnn to nnn - smart switches

nnn to nnn-  tablets

nnn to nnn  - printers

etc etc.

- through a mixture of Fixed IP on device or DHCP reserved IP address.

So,  fixed IP for proper devices that are easy to configure from their menus - e.g. printers, PCs, etc,  and DHCP reservations for devices that are a pain with their poor interface/wifi apps to connect and change...   ..or even all via DHCP reservations if it allows  more than 40.  (One management point).

(split this into 2 parts as it keeps telling me some of the text is illegal)

Options
2023-02-25 17:31:13 - last edited 2023-02-25 17:34:24

@jra11500 

Part 2

My cheapo current router does allow DHCP reservations outside of the DHCP assignable range, which is good, and makes sense (it's just a software policy decision by the manufacturer ultimately) and gives greatest control and flexibility.  - but that router is limited by policy to 24 reserved IP adresses - not enough.

-   still blocking my typed content - despite no external links -  I give up...

Options
2023-02-25 17:41:16

@jra11500 

part 3 - last attempt -

"The reserved DHCP addresses are addresses within the DHCP server's range"

- are you saying that you believe this to be the case -- or have you actually tested it?

Thanks

Options
2023-02-26 10:10:15

@tamefox 

I find it curious that your router's DHCP server lets you assign reserved IP addresses outside of it's range.  I just tested the AX55 to see if I could assign a reserved IP to a device that is outside the server's range  The router's web interface responds with "Enter an IP address within the IP address pool."  Therefore it is not possible with the AX55.

Without exceeding any limits on the number of entries, it is possible to assign the reserved IPs in groups (not all at once with a single entry).  For example, you could assign 192.165.1.33 through 192.168.1.60 to devices and then assign 192.168.1.96 to 192.168.1.120 to another group of devices.

One thing to remember when testing is that any changes may not take effect until the IP's release time has expired or until you reboot the router.

Options
2023-02-28 16:24:55

@jra11500 

Hi, thanks again.

To me it seems quite logical (and extremely useful) that I can reserve a limited pool of auto-assignable DHCP adresses, ansd separately manually reserve IP addresses external to that pool range = max control.

" Without exceeding any limits on the number of entries, it is possible to assign the reserved IPs in groups (not all at once with a single entry).  For example, you could assign 192.165.1.33 through 192.168.1.60 to devices and then assign 192.168.1.96 to 192.168.1.120 to another group of devices."

- Just want to clarify that - are you saying that :

it is possible to assign a reserved IP address RANGE with only one of the 64 entries allowed?
e.g. n.n.n.20 to n.n.n.30 as one range entry using one IP reservation out of the 64 allowed?

- so I could in theory allocate 64 ranges?

That would solve the problem, esp. if I can also name each range.

Options
2023-03-01 10:43:09

@tamefox 

Perhaps I should have been a little clearer.  It is not possible with a single entry to reserve more than 1 address, at least with the AX55 router .  Each reserved IP entry must have an associated MAC address.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 563

Replies: 9

Tags

Access Control
IP Reservation