Android devices fail to get IP address with upgraded WPA4220

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-02-25 17:07:24
Model: TL-WPA4220 KIT  
Hardware Version: V4
Firmware Version: 4.0.4 Build 20220408 Rel.36351

Hi all,

I have been using the AV600 kit of hub (V3) plus WPA4220 extender (V4) for several years. I have recently noticed that the extender was occasionally hanging and had to be restarted to restore service to its several clients, both wired and WiFi - so I upgraded the extender firmware from 4.0.3 Build 20190326 Rel.43406 to the latest release of 4.0.4 Build 20220408 Rel.36351

After the upgrade I turned Smart DHCP off.

Since the upgrade, none of my three Android devices have been able to fully connect to the extender, reporting in each case "Failed to get IP address". My Windows PCs and iPhone all connect successfully. Re-enabling Smart DHCP makes no difference - my Android devices can still not get an IP address (via the extender) from the DHCP server on my home router.

It very much looks like some buggy behaviour has been introduced in Rel 36351? Can anyone else confirm this or otherwise? Is there anything further I should do to confirm this? How do I get TP-Link interested?

Any suggestions for next steps gratefully received!

Many thanks,

Charlie

Options
7 Reply
Re:Android devices fail to get IP address with upgraded WPA4220
2023-03-24 10:53:00

@CharLon 

Hi, did you try to restart the router, powerline units and also the android devices?

Since Windows computer and iPhone are still able to connect successfully, the connection between powerline units and the router should be still fine. If problem still exists, please share with us screenshots of the DHCP settings on the powerline devices now.

Options
2023-03-26 15:59:07

@Sunshine 

Hi all,

Since I first reported this, I’ve done a bit more investigation. It looks like the issue is with the WiFi side of the WPA4220 – I think the android devices struggle with this more than the other devices, but the issue is not restricted to Android, as I’d first thought.

My setup is pretty conventional. A single WPA4220 connects to a PA4010, in turn connected to a Virgin SuperHub 3 router. The SuperHub also supports a TP-Link WA801 Access Point. The WPA4220 is fixed to channel 1, the SuperHub to channel 6, and the WA801 to channel 11.

The powerline devices are plugged directly into wall sockets. tpPLC reports the link between the WPA4220 and its hub as running at 219 Mbps

I have a Windows PC physically connected to the WPA4220. This PC shows an Ookla speed test data rate of around 70Mb/s, so all the physical infrastructure is working normally.

I have turned the DHCP server off on the WPA4220 as I don’t understand why it is required in my configuration – surely the SuperHub should be the sole responder to DHCP requests?

The current symptoms are as follows. After I powercycle the WPA4220, wireless connection attempts work fine. After a few minutes, connection attempts start to fail – Android reports “failed to obtain IP address”, Windows connects but reports “Connected, no internet”. I can disconnect a normally working device, and it will immediately fail to reconnect with these symptoms.

Ping times over WiFi between a Windows PC and the WPA4220 show times of 1-2ms over 50 pings, with no packet loss. However, if I run a speed test under these circumstances, rates are down to 10 Mbs.

These issues do appear to be DHCP-related, and only appeared after the upgrade to release 36351. Was this the release which introduced a DHCP server to the WPA4220? However, enabling the DHCP server on the WPA4220 doesn’t resolve these issues.

Sorry about the length of this. I’ve tried to keep it as short as possible.

Any ideas for what I try next?

Options
2023-03-29 11:15:41

@CharLon 

Hi, thanks a lot for those detailed information. May I know if you also tried to reset the powerline extender to factory defaults, then pair it again with the powerline adapter?

In addition, when client devices start showing "failed to obtain IP address" or "Connected, no internet", is the powerline LED which looks like a little house on the extender still green? you mentioned that ping from Windows PC to the extender works fine, how about pinging your main router from the Windows PC when it loses internet access?

Options
2023-04-01 17:10:30

@Sunshine

Hi. Thank you so much for all your help with this issue. To answer your questions first:

I took a spare WPA4220 which had previously worked reliably, and upgraded it from Rel 43406 to Rel 36351. I reset it to factory settings, and changed just the SSID and password. It showed the same intermittent symptoms as the other WPA4220 – android devices failed to get an IP address, Windows devices showed “Connected, no internet”. I then reverted it back to Rel 43406 and it worked fine.

When my Windows PC is “Connected, no internet” then it will not successfully ping the router – but it does have an IP address, unlike the Android devices.

The lights are always on and green on both the hub and AP. As I said previously, there are several PCs hard-wired to the WPA4220 – these show no issues with connectivity or performance. They show up to 75 Mbs on an internet speed test, and support 80GB of network backup every night. I only see the issues with wireless.

I have had a more detailed look at this issue with wireshark + AWUS036NHA. Here are two decrypted 802.11 level dumps of my motorola phone associating with the AP, and requesting an IP address. The first succeeds, whilst in the second the DHCP Discover fails to receive an DHCP Offer so the DHCP Discover is repeated, but without success, and so eventually times out.

I wanted to see whether the DHCP messages get through to the Virgin router, and whether they are properly responded to, so I put an ethernet hub between the Powerline hub and the router and had a look. The following images show a successful DHCP registration, followed by a failure. You can see in the second image, the Virgin router is receiving repeat DHCP Discover requests to which it is responding correctly with DHCP Offers, but these appear not to be passed through to the requesting client.

I'm not a network engineer, so am not qualified to do any more detailed analysis. But it looks like this issue is software related, has been introduced in release 36351, and is related to the way in which the WPA4220 handles DHCP requests. I'd be surprised if it's not been reported elsewhere. Is it time to pass it back up to TP-Link internally?

Thanks again for your help...

Options
2023-04-05 14:44:23
First of all, please make sure the DHCP server function in the WPA4220 is disabled, such that the main router has control over everybody's IPv4 addresses. (Do not set this to "Auto" ... this means it will disable when the main router's DHCP server is detected - but if the router is gone for a moment, this will reenable and henceforth screw everything up.)
Options
2023-04-05 15:43:05

@PeterM. 

From my first post, "After the upgrade I turned Smart DHCP off." But yes, you are quite right that leaving Smart DHCP enabled wouldn't be helping resolve this issue.

But even so, Smart DHCP doesn't really explain these symptoms - that the extender passes a DHCP Discover through to my main router, but doesn't return the response to the client.

Still expecting that TP-Link will respond...

Options
2023-04-06 09:17:36

@CharLon 

Hi, to assist you efficiently, I've forwarded your case to the TP-Link support engineers, who will contact you with your registered email address later. Please pay attention to your email box for follow-up.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 611

Replies: 7