MR600 LTE Data Usage is very high without anything connected to it

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-02-27 18:43:20 - last edited 2023-03-08 10:43:10
Model: Archer MR600  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.6.0 0.9.1

I am using the MR600 as a failover internet connection. There is nothing connected to it but it manages to consume more than 5GB a day !!! It is an upgrade from the MR6400 that I was using before ... I did not have any issues like this with the MR6400.

I saw that someone posted in 2019 having exactly this issue, unfortunately the thread was closed with no proposed solution.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:MR600 LTE Data Usage is very high without anything connected to it-Solution
2023-03-08 10:42:55 - last edited 2023-03-08 10:43:10

After a week of intense research :), I finally found the data leak, and it has nothing to do with the MR600. I had a VLAN configured as a GUEST Network, our Home Office computers are connected to this guest network ... In my firewall configuration I had no "balance" rule and for some magic reason, the guest network would always use the LTE instead of the default Internet link. 

I guess the discussion can be close as I now have only 20MB of data lost a day which fits with expectations.

Recommended Solution
Options
3 Reply
Re:MR600 LTE Data Usage is very high without anything connected to it
2023-02-28 10:52:23

@chaplin1 

Hi, during that time, may I know if it is stay connected to the Ethernet WAN? or the Ethernet WAN has been down?

Besides, if Ethernet WAN is down and it is using 4G backup internet, it will not consume so many data usage. Normally if no any client device connected to it, the router itself might consume no more than 20MB data which is used to communicate with ISP and stay online.

Therefore, if you have not rebooted the router, it is recommended to check the router system logs to see if any device connects to it during that day.

In addition, may I know where you checked the data usage? on the web interface of the MR600? or on ISP side? if possible, please contact your ISP to see if they could provide detailed information about when and what websites are used to consume those data usage. 

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. TL-WA3001 Supports EasyMesh, Speed Limit, Guest Network in AP Mode and/or Multi-SSID Mode. If you found the post or response helpful, please click Helpful. If an answer solves your problem, click "Recommended Solution" so that others can benefit from it.
Options
Re:MR600 LTE Data Usage is very high without anything connected to it
2023-02-28 18:36:07 - last edited 2023-02-28 21:17:25

@Sunshine The MR600 is connected to the Edgeroute (Edgerouter 4 from Ubiquiti). The edgerouter is configured to use the MR600 only as failover (the logs show that it was not used, so no traffic comming from any client). I have activated all securtity features 

Firewalls IPv4&6 on, DoS is activated

ICMP-Flood Attack Filtering: High

UDP-Flood Attack Filtering: High

TCP-Flood Attack Filtering: High

The data usage is now down from 5GB/Day (after all security features activated) to 1,3GB/Day. I am checking using the Web Interface of the MR600, but could also confirm on the ISP Side (at least the 5GB/Day were consistent).

I will leave it like this a couple of days to get an average, then I will change the frequency (currently every 30 sec) that my Edge Router uses to check if the internet connection is active and change it to 60 sec ... if the daily consumption is reduced proportionaly, I have a good suspect.

Options
Re:MR600 LTE Data Usage is very high without anything connected to it-Solution
2023-03-08 10:42:55 - last edited 2023-03-08 10:43:10

After a week of intense research :), I finally found the data leak, and it has nothing to do with the MR600. I had a VLAN configured as a GUEST Network, our Home Office computers are connected to this guest network ... In my firewall configuration I had no "balance" rule and for some magic reason, the guest network would always use the LTE instead of the default Internet link. 

I guess the discussion can be close as I now have only 20MB of data lost a day which fits with expectations.

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 765

Replies: 3

Related Articles