WDS Mode with TL-WR940N

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

WDS Mode with TL-WR940N

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
WDS Mode with TL-WR940N
WDS Mode with TL-WR940N
2023-02-28 11:24:36 - last edited 2023-10-24 03:42:24
Model: TL-WR940N  
Hardware Version: V6
Firmware Version: 3.20.1 Build 211111 Rel.32795n (4555)

Hello,

I just configured my new router TL-WR940N in WDS mode.

Initially I have configure it Range Extender mode and it works fine, I got backup before continue with WDS.

Now, I can connect to the internet while status shows WAN connection 0.0.0.0 Dynamic IP.

The hint of "WAN port is unplugged!" is correct as I'm connecting to the root router wirelessly.

I followed the steps here How to configure WDS function on TP-Link Wireless Routers.

Trying to get GMT or to ping hostnames results in "check your internet connection"

Please clarify on the diffirence bewteen Repeater and WDS modes.

Should I get back to repeater mode? Please advice

Options
2 Reply
Re:WDS Mode with TL-WR940N
2023-02-28 20:24:39

@vCentre 

TL-WR940N has a unique option to offer both 'repeater mode' and WDS feature in 'wireless router mode'.

In most devices usually it's either one or the other. I would say that 'repeater mode' would offer greater compatibility with different devices.

Aside from that WDS won't allow you to set the time of the device automatically and check for FW updates, cause in this case you're not using router's WAN port.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
Re:WDS Mode with TL-WR940N
2023-02-28 22:00:44 - last edited 2023-02-28 22:03:30

@terziyski 

Special Thanks for your prompt feedback.

Well, based on your recommendation, I can see that, repeater mode would be better.

I figured out both and found it almost same, that's why I"m looking for the best can suite my setup.

Based on my network setup, TP-Link router is intended only to provide wired connectivity -preffered- to multiple Linux machines behind in such area at which wired cable would be complicated to consturct.

I have used another TP-Link extender RE220 to acheive the above task but it is limited to only 1 wired output port; so I switched to WR940N to avoid using switch.

Other devices, laptop, mobile, iPad etc it's not neccessary to connect the middle router as it can connect directly to root router.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 605

Replies: 2

Related Articles