Want to understand clear distinction between Deco vs archer series of routers

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-03-02 06:21:16
Model: Deco X55   Deco X60  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Context -

I am setting my home network having home-office, entertainment room and moderate internet usage via mobile phones within my close to 2000 sqft Indian home with concrete walls and wooden furniture. I am surely going with wifi 6 to future proofing myself (Indian home internet is not yet wifi 6 as main stream).

I have shortlisted few models with AX standard and then I was getting confused between two series TP-Link offers. Deco and Archer.

It is pretty clear that Deco series is for Mesh wifi system.

But it is not clear that what is with Archer series - is it a specialized for gaming purpose or kind of general purpose or home-office or professional purpose?

For my home,

If I have to go for Archer series then I have to install the router in the center of the house (which will kill aesthetic of the place where I want to place it, given it is bigger in size).

If I have to go for deco, then I am solving the aesthetic problem but not sure about the performance for my need (I am going with Ethernet back haul) - so confused about the series I have to choose.

Shortlisted models from each series - I will choose 

1. Archer AX 55 or AX 73
  2. Deco X55 or X60 - 2 pack.

Please enlighten me with the information I need, I am not getting it after spending couple of hours on internet.

Thanks in advance.

Options
1 Reply
Re:Want to understand clear distinction between Deco vs archer series of routers
2023-03-02 17:46:33

@patelkunal89 

Hey

This is not an uncommon question, the two are quite close in offering

The Deco is designed to be a wireless mesh system that connects either directly to your ISP Router, or straight to internet (FTTP).   Its primarily for easy of use as a one stop mesh system and are generally sold in 2 or 3 node units.   Totally controlled by an App, designed for very much home use and have quite commonly used features, but not fully featured.

The Archer range is a different beast, they are primarily replacement routers to use instead of your ISP router.    The are configured as a SOHO router and tend to be more fully featured compared to deco, few more features and web GUI driven, but harder to setup overall.    These can be extended to MESH using the OneMesh plugs, but that is an optional feature, its primary goal is single router.   They are more powerful and slightly better performing vs deco. 

OK so summary..

Archer.... For apartments, small houses or people who require more advanced tweaking.  Slightly Gamer or Power user based, someone who Mesh isnt really needed, but might want add it later

Deco...  Mesh for larger houses, less featured but app driven and easy to setup.   More you 'home' grade stuff.   For people who just want WiFi everywhere now..  easy to setup, no real configuration needed and visually pleasing.

If you are running cables, then either will work tbh.    Personally Deco is the more common used and the performance of the X20 or higher is very good!

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 10321

Replies: 1

Related Articles