TP Link Engineer Says: ER605 can only handle 200 WiFi Clients

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-03-07 11:01:15
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 2.1.2 Build 20230210 Rel.62992

In a voucher based Omada, unauthorized WiFi users trying to  connect to WiFi were already assigned an IP Address.

If all IP Addresses were already assigned to unauthorized users, How can a client who purchased a voucher code granted access?

In this case, your sales is ZERO.

Options
7 Reply
Re:TP Link Engineer Says: ER605 can only handle 200 WiFi Clients
2023-03-07 13:25:42

@Ric04jan72 

The voucher is all done by the controller.  You need an IP to grab the guest portal.  Side note, if youre planning on having a ton of guest hitting the portal, make sure its a beefy host.  with some horsepower and some extra ram.  Guest portals suck up memory like crazy, IF you have a ton of guest clients.  

The thing is, you will need to lower your DHCP lease times and the DHCP scope big enough to handle the Proper Paying Clients and the low-hanging fruit that is sitting not getting anything BUT an IP.  

Since they're not surfing the net, since they do not have a voucher code, then you're not losing money.  

I can not teach anyone anything - I can only make them think - Socrates
Options
2023-03-08 00:09:06

@KimcheeGUN 

We are in a business with business router.

I don't have a plan to have even 1 unauthorize guest hitting the portal. Why do I need to spent tons of money just to allocate IP Address for unauthorize users. I don't need them.

How can I change my DHCP setting to scoop bigger if the ER605 can only handle 200 clients?

I am losing money and business because they will return the voucher and request for refund.  The voucher is useless if they can't connect to wifi because there is no IP Address Available.

Options
2023-03-08 02:56:23 - last edited 2023-03-08 02:56:37

@Ric04jan72 

To provide portal wifi service, the most important thing should be the wireless coverage, signal strength. If the access points are not deployed properly, the guests in the wifi dead zone are likely fail to connect to wifi, not to mention to get an IP address. So getting a good signal strength from the wifi is the first thing before getting an IP address.

I agree with @KimcheeGUN that if you have a ton of guest clients, your gateway should be a beefy host with enough resources to handle all sessions and concurrent tasks. And I don't believe a cheap er605 can be used as the main gateway for a large business network. 8411 looks more suitable.

Options
2023-03-08 03:29:52

@Yannie 

Considering that the signal strength and quality is OK. The issue here is more on IP Address utiliztion.

Based on the screenshot below, Some SSIDs are not password protected. People think that it is free but this is VOUCHER BASED OMADA. So, they will attempt to connect. Omada in turn will give them IP addresses but will not grant internet access because they don't have voucher code.

Here comes the client with voucher, he can no longer connect to the network because there is no longer IP Address available. He will return the voucher and refund his payment.

Options
2023-03-08 13:27:38

@Ric04jan72 

Settings>Wired Network>edit LAN

change the gateway subnet to a /23> press the update dhcp Range.

Lower the Lease Times to 30 minutes.  

That should get you were you need to go!

IM going to say this in the nicest way possible... since you dont know the product and or basic networking, there is no need to be frustrated at the product.  You should do some testing / R&D before you launch your next project.  That will save you a lot of heart ache.  

Options
2023-03-08 14:09:31

@KimcheeGUN 

This is already the current setup:

Gateway/Subnet: /23
Network IP Count: 510
Lease time: 12 minutes

Options
2023-03-08 16:08:30

@Ric04jan72 

If you are filling up over 400+ IP addresses with BS wireless Clients... Then you will have to go to the site.  Fire up Acrylic WiFi Analyzer on your laptop.  Turn the power down on the APs until the signal is within the building and not blasting outside the premise.  

Also you can do the wireless site survey around the building... Read what the signal is at each wall for both bands.  Set the MINI-RSSi to that signal.  So anyone beyond the walls, will be dropped.  

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 999

Replies: 7

Related Articles