TL-480T+ Wireless Connectivity

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-03-14 18:27:01 - last edited 2023-03-16 12:26:16
Model: TL-WA801ND   TL-R480T+  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version:

Hello-

I am planning to purchase TL-480T+ load balancer as I have two internet connections, each reaches max of 30 Mb per second and I want to increase the speed plus balance the load across the family members who needs internet access, specially when all of us are using YouTube at the same time, which seems to be bandwidth killer

So my understanding TL-480T+ doesn't output wireless connection, can I just output the wireless connection by connecting one of its LAN ports to an access point like TL-WA801N ?

Thanks

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:TL-480T+ Wireless Connectivity-Solution
2023-03-15 10:39:22 - last edited 2023-03-16 12:26:16

@AymanRoshdy 

Hey

Yes that is the device, its just a newer model with faster ports and a bit more power, should do the job for you!\

In answer to you questions..

• My 1st DSL is using TP-Link Archer VR600  OK
  • My 2nd DSL is using TP-Link W9960  OK
  • I will use Cat6 network cables to connect the above two into ER605 WAN ports    Yes recommend CAT6, CAT5e is showing it age now.
  • Then I will output 3 Cat6 network cables to connect to TP-Link access points that I will distribute among the house   Sounds like a plan
  • I believe all the access points will need to have the same name (SSID) for seemless connectivity, I assume the devices should connect to the nearest SSID this way   Not exactly.. No.    Seamless roaming can only be achieved if a controller is used to "manage" the network and tell the devices to roam, it them handles the move and means you can seamlessly move without disconnecting.     If you dont use a controller and just have 3x APs connected with same username/password it wont give you seamless roaming, in fact it likely wont roam.     Devices are poor at roaming unless told, they stick to one AP until it dies then disconnect and re-scan for a new one.   If you havent bought the APs yet, then you may want to consider managed APs with a controller IF seamless roaming is your thing.    Options are something like the OC200 controller and 3x EAP225 / 610s (depending on your needs).   If price is a concern, the Deco range may be an option when used in AP mode, but the Omada EAP225 would be better if honest. 
  • Do I need to do anything for the IPs, I think all the devices will be configured to use DHCP for dynamic IPs.   Just make sure the 2x DSL routers have different addresses from your ER605.   The ER605 will do the dhcp for all LAN devices, so its likely 192.168.1.1 or something like that.   Set your DSL routers to use    192.168.101.x and 192.168.202.x to keep them on seperate networks.

Recommended Solution
Options
4 Reply
Re:TL-480T+ Wireless Connectivity
2023-03-14 21:44:37

@AymanRoshdy 

Hey

Yes you are correct, the router you mentioned does not have WiFi.   You are again correct however that connecting an AP to the LAN port would offer you WiFi connections.

However.. just to point out that the TL-480T+ is an older device now, you may be better to consider the ER605 router.   Its faster and newer for roughly the same price.

Options
2023-03-15 10:25:16

@Philbert Thanks for the confirmation and the tip, the one you are mentioning is this one Amazon, right?

I believe the 480T+ configuration was very easy, I assume the ER605 configuration is easy as well

For the setup I am planning on the following:

• My 1st DSL is using TP-Link Archer VR600
  • My 2nd DSL is using TP-Link W9960
  • I will use Cat6 network cables to connect the above two into ER605 WAN ports
  • Then I will output 3 Cat6 network cables to connect to TP-Link access points that I will distribute among the house
  • I believe all the access points will need to have the same name (SSID) for seemless connectivity, I assume the devices should connect to the nearest SSID this way
  • Do I need to do anything for the IPs, I think all the devices will be configured to use DHCP for dynamic IPs

Any comments regarding the setup before I purchase the devices, not cheap in my currency

Philbert wrote

@AymanRoshdy 

Hey

Yes you are correct, the router you mentioned does not have WiFi.   You are again correct however that connecting an AP to the LAN port would offer you WiFi connections.

However.. just to point out that the TL-480T+ is an older device now, you may be better to consider the ER605 router.   Its faster and newer for roughly the same price.

Options
Re:TL-480T+ Wireless Connectivity-Solution
2023-03-15 10:39:22 - last edited 2023-03-16 12:26:16

@AymanRoshdy 

Hey

Yes that is the device, its just a newer model with faster ports and a bit more power, should do the job for you!\

In answer to you questions..

• My 1st DSL is using TP-Link Archer VR600  OK
  • My 2nd DSL is using TP-Link W9960  OK
  • I will use Cat6 network cables to connect the above two into ER605 WAN ports    Yes recommend CAT6, CAT5e is showing it age now.
  • Then I will output 3 Cat6 network cables to connect to TP-Link access points that I will distribute among the house   Sounds like a plan
  • I believe all the access points will need to have the same name (SSID) for seemless connectivity, I assume the devices should connect to the nearest SSID this way   Not exactly.. No.    Seamless roaming can only be achieved if a controller is used to "manage" the network and tell the devices to roam, it them handles the move and means you can seamlessly move without disconnecting.     If you dont use a controller and just have 3x APs connected with same username/password it wont give you seamless roaming, in fact it likely wont roam.     Devices are poor at roaming unless told, they stick to one AP until it dies then disconnect and re-scan for a new one.   If you havent bought the APs yet, then you may want to consider managed APs with a controller IF seamless roaming is your thing.    Options are something like the OC200 controller and 3x EAP225 / 610s (depending on your needs).   If price is a concern, the Deco range may be an option when used in AP mode, but the Omada EAP225 would be better if honest. 
  • Do I need to do anything for the IPs, I think all the devices will be configured to use DHCP for dynamic IPs.   Just make sure the 2x DSL routers have different addresses from your ER605.   The ER605 will do the dhcp for all LAN devices, so its likely 192.168.1.1 or something like that.   Set your DSL routers to use    192.168.101.x and 192.168.202.x to keep them on seperate networks.

Recommended Solution
Options
2023-03-16 12:26:02

@Philbert Thanks for the detailed info

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 465

Replies: 4