M4 cap at 250Mbps

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

M4 cap at 250Mbps

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
M4 cap at 250Mbps
M4 cap at 250Mbps
2023-03-18 21:19:31

I have a 1000mb line. 

The main m4 deco tops out at 250Mbps. 

When i use the ISP router then i get the full 1000Mbps. No QOS devices

I'm using cat6E. Tried removing the satellites, direct cable into the main m4. Nothing. Any suggestions please

Options
2 Reply
Re:M4 cap at 250Mbps
2023-03-19 11:58:11

@Khanage 

Hey

250mbps is an un-usual speed.    If it was 10  100 or 1000 then definitely its cables, but as its 250 then its not a standard number, indicating to me its a WiFi speed limitation.  How have you tested this specifically and using what hardware?

Have you tested this by doing the following..?

1.  Turn off the other nodes, leave only the MAIN node powered on

2.  Cable from ISP router to your MAIN Deco (which I think you said you have)

3.  Cable from Deco MAIN to your Laptop or Desktop..  (no wifi connection)

Test this.  if it comes in at 900+ then its not the cable connection, likely the WiFi.  

Speaking honestly.   If you have 1gbps connection coming into your house, then the M4 is not a powerful enough device to handle that speed.   You really should be looking for an AX (WiFi6) grade solution, something like the Deco X70 + or XE range.  

The M4s are WiFi5 devices (AC) therefore are limited in real speeds to around 500mbps in good strong conditions, 300 normally.   WiFi6 is capable of getting to 1gbps, but that will require TriBand connections and client devices that support the same.

Options
Re:M4 cap at 250Mbps
2023-05-02 21:13:23

@Philbert i have seen this is my own setup.  What resolved it for me was using ethernet backhaul between the router deco and the satellite and removing any priority devices in the deco app. Make sure the QoS speeds reflect your ISP speeds.  This got my speeds up to 880Mbs via wired connections, and 530Mbs via WiFi.  Previously everything capped out at 250Mbs and I was ready to ditch the M4s

Philbert wrote

@Khanage 

Hey

250mbps is an un-usual speed.    If it was 10  100 or 1000 then definitely its cables, but as its 250 then its not a standard number, indicating to me its a WiFi speed limitation.  How have you tested this specifically and using what hardware?

Have you tested this by doing the following..?

1.  Turn off the other nodes, leave only the MAIN node powered on

2.  Cable from ISP router to your MAIN Deco (which I think you said you have)

3.  Cable from Deco MAIN to your Laptop or Desktop..  (no wifi connection)

Test this.  if it comes in at 900+ then its not the cable connection, likely the WiFi.  

Speaking honestly.   If you have 1gbps connection coming into your house, then the M4 is not a powerful enough device to handle that speed.   You really should be looking for an AX (WiFi6) grade solution, something like the Deco X70 + or XE range.  

The M4s are WiFi5 devices (AC) therefore are limited in real speeds to around 500mbps in good strong conditions, 300 normally.   WiFi6 is capable of getting to 1gbps, but that will require TriBand connections and client devices that support the same.

Options

Information

Helpful: 2

Views: 489

Replies: 2

Related Articles