Android phone wifi sluggish on powerline

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-03-20 23:56:41
Tags: #Android
Model: TL-WPA8730 KIT  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.1 Build 160606 Rel.67491n

My Android phone's connection to the internet via my Powerline device (I have a TL-WPA8730 Kit) seems sluggish. It is strange because when I do a speedtest the speed seems fine, I get around 30Mbps download speed. But when I open an app and open pictures in the app, it takes ages to load. I'm talking minutes. As soon as I switch off the wifi and go on mobile internet, the picture loads in a second, even though I only have 2 bars on the mobile phone signal. I have tested this many times by closing the app and reopneing with mobile only. The app loads faster with wifi off.

When i connect a Dell laptop to the powerline extender via wifi there is no issue. I also have a pc connected via ethernet. I have this problem even when all thes eother devices are powered off and only my phone is connected to the powerline. I have actually noticed this issue for many years, with different versions of Samsung Android phones. I get internet via a BT Home Hub with a speed of around 65Mbps. When I connect the phone via wifi to the main router there is no problem. It only seems to be when I my Android phone is connected to the Powerline extender. My powerline extenders are cloned with the same settings as the router.

For years i have lived with this, when i am in my room just switching off wifi and going on the phone mobile signal, but I need to get a powerline extender for another room, so I now want to get to the bottom of this issue or else try another brand and see if that helps. Any advice greatly received.

Options
4 Reply
Re:Android phone wifi sluggish on powerline
2023-03-24 11:23:35

@Namaqwa 

Hi, you mentioned that the extender has cloned the wireless settings from your router, could you please try to change the WiFi name of the extender to be different from your router, then connect to the new WiFi name of the extender on your Android phone to see if it helps?

Options
2023-03-26 23:50:05 - last edited 2023-03-26 23:53:07

@Sunshine I have tried that before and it has not made a difference

Options
2023-03-29 11:18:36

@Namaqwa 

Hi, could you please try to download the latest firmware and update it for the extender to see if it helps?

https://www.tp-link.com/en/support/download/tl-wpa8730-kit/#Firmware

Options
2023-04-22 10:24:08

@Sunshine Sorry for the delay. Life got busy. The latest version firmware version is dated 2017! But I downloaded and installed it and it seemed to have made no difference to this issue. I am wondering if it is some setting on my phone, as i transfer my settings when I upgrade to a new phone. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 400

Replies: 4

Tags

Android