TP-Link Archer AX55 - need extender, advices?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-04-05 10:55:12 - last edited 2023-04-05 11:50:56
Model: Archer AX55  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.1.7 Build 20230213 rel.74634

i got the TP-Link Archer AX55 which I'm happy with. But soon I'll move to a new house where the router is in one end of the house, and my bedroom in the other end. So I'm affraid that the range will be an issue. I see that the AX55 supports "OneMesh". Can anyone clarify this for me, what is this? Is there a TP-Link product (extender?) I can buy to put in my bedroom? I will use ethernet cable from the original AX55 - and furthermore; from the extender I will NEED(!) to have the option to put another ethernet cable to my PC. 

What products can I chose from? 

Thanks in advance.

Options
1 Reply
Re:TP-Link Archer AX55 - need extender, advices?
2023-04-06 09:39:54

@Thez

The “Mesh” feature for routers is a feature that allows a somewhat seamless “roaming” within the coverage area. The devices involved are connected to each other (the connection is called a “backhaul” and may be either wireless or wired) and do a “handoff” operation based on signal strength. For now, each manufacturer has his own version of the mesh feature making their products incompatible with devices from different manufacturers.

Even TP-Link uses several different mesh standards within its own products, making some of them incompatible with each other. There are other threads available on this forum to explain the differences and provide a comparison.

The AX55 with its latest firmware supports EasyMesh which is the newest attempt to make everything compatible. If you need a range extender, I recommend you check the TP-Link website for the latest list of EasyMesh compatible devices. In my home I use 2 RE700X extenders and they work quite well.

Another option, if you are going to have the two locations cabled, might be to use another AX55 instead of a range extender. The AX55 already supports wireless backhaul for EasyMesh and (hopefully soon) will support ethernet backhaul in the near future. For now, you could configure the second AX55 as a wired access point with its LAN ports available for any network connections, such as your computer.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1961

Replies: 1

Related Articles