M5 x3 Youfibre gigabyte Broadband

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-04-05 14:00:43
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 1.6.5

I recently had Youfibre gigabyte broadband installed at my home.  The router is in my office.  I have set Mesh to access point mode.

My home has a cat6 network installed and I have x3 M5 devices.

The cat 6 cables all feed back to an under stairs cupboard.

I have set up the M5s in the following way.

Router connects via cat6 cable to Main Device.

Main device then connects to understairs device directly via cat 6.

Understairs device connects to lounge device via cat6 cable. (This often reverts to MiFi)

I have ~ 945 mbps coming from my router to main device, however, the WiFi speed from all 3 M5s is below 450 mbps.

Is normal for there to be such a big drop?  Have I got the set up wrong?

Any help appreciated.

Options
2 Reply
Re:M5 x3 Youfibre gigabyte Broadband
2023-04-05 16:25:47

@BigAlC 

The best I ever got from Deco M5, with really large number of speed tests in almost ideal conditions, is 475Mbps. Which means, with 450Mbps you are getting what Deco M5 is capable of.

You may consider running Deco mesh in Access Point mode, that might squeeze a little bit more from M5s. How to set up Deco to work in Access Point mode

As a long term solution, consider replacing M5 with WiFi6 capable Deco mesh hardware. I would recommend Deco X50, X55 or X60. If you have tight budget but plan to use Ethernet backhaul for all Deco units, Deco X20 is a good option, too.

You should expect hitting close to gigabit WiFi speeds with Deco hardware that is WiFi6 capable.

Options
Re:M5 x3 Youfibre gigabyte Broadband
2023-04-12 11:38:00
Hi Alexandre, Thanks for the advice, I have purchased three x20 devices. I am now getting ~ 770 mbps next to the main device and ~500 elsewhere in the house. Cheers, Al.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 563

Replies: 2

Related Articles