Dropped packets on Deco M5 router.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-04-06 04:45:09
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.6.5 Build 20230110 Rel 41561

Hi,

I am trying to debug poor performance on my Deco M5 mesh network, and I suspect the issue is because of dropped packets.

I have three deco M5s set up in a mesh, and the main router is connected to my DSL router via ethernet. I also have a NAS drive, which is connected via ethernet to my DSL router. For my tests, my MacBook is approximately 20' from the main Deco M5 router.

To debug, I am using MTR. I am running MTR jobs in parallel to check for dropped packets.

- I am pinging my NAS at 192.168.20.13, which goes through two hops via the main deco M5 at 192.168.68.1,

- my Apple TV at 192.168.68.101, which is also connected to the main Deco M5,

- one of my secondary Deco M5s at 192.168.68.249

- MTR to 8.8.8.8 (dns.google) to look for long-haul connectivity

The pings to the other wireless devices on the same subnet are rock-solid - ~=0% packet loss, average pings in the 10ms range. So the Wifi part looks solid.

The pings to my NAS, however, are terrible. While the problem is intermittent, I get periods of 60-70% packet loss on the first hop, the ping to 192.168.68.1 (the main Deco M5. Given that client-to-client pings show no loss, and the main Deco M5 large packet loss, I can only assume that there is an issue with the Deco itself. Right now the packet loss shown by mtr is limited to the Deco M5. At other times, the packet loss flows downstream, causing cascading packet loss all along the line  - I will keep monitoring and post that result when it happens again.

I checked the loading on the Deo when the packet loss occurs, and CPU is ~=25%, memory usage ~=56%. I cleared the logs, rebooted all of the Decos and ran the mtrs for some time, then saved the logs. I tried to upload to this post, but that failed.

So, how to debug next steps on why the Deco M5 is experiencing such heavy packet loss?

Options
2 Reply
Re:Dropped packets on Deco M5 router.
2023-04-07 06:41:06

@ctann 

Hi, welcome to the community.

Have you noticed any performance issues when the packets dropped a lot on the first hop, such as slow loading when accessing the NAS server or something else?

And are you able to reproduce this packet loss most of the time? or How many times have you noticed this issue already?

If possible, have you ever tried to set Deco into Access Point to see whether the same packet loss continued:

How to set up Deco to work in Access Point mode

Thank you very much.

Best regards.

Options
Re:Dropped packets on Deco M5 router.
2023-04-07 09:20:19 - last edited 2023-04-07 10:18:33

Hi @David-TP , thanks for the reply.

"Have you noticed any performance issues when the packets dropped a lot on the first hop, such as slow loading when accessing the NAS server or something else?"

Yes, I have been having intermittent network issues which I am trying to track down.

The most recent symptom was terrible performance on my AppleTV (lots of pauses for buffering). The AppleTV is only 10' from the main Deco M5. I tried putting it in priority mode, and turned off mesh to make sure it only accessed the main deco. At the same time, I also checked the MTR on my laptop - no dropped packets observed internal to the network, but for some reason routing to the DNS server was not working (even using the IP address directly). The DNS servers were fine when accessed directly from my DSL router. I rebooted the Deco routers yet again, which fixed the DNS problem, but I still had poor performance on the AppleTV. I switched the AppleTV to the WIFI net controlled by the DSL router - and it then ran flawlessly.

"And are you able to reproduce this packet loss most of the time? or How many times have you noticed this issue already?"

The problem with intermittent network problems. I was seeing the dropped packet issue consistently yesterday, but today the mtr looks fine (except for the afforementioned loss of routing to the DNS servers). But, still poor performance on the AppleTV.

"If possible, have you ever tried to set Deco into Access Point to see whether the same packet loss continued:

How to set up Deco to work in Access Point mode"

[EDIT] 
I have not. I'm not sure what the benefit would be (unless it fixes some inexplicable issue, but that's not really how I like to debug things). I assume I would also have to go and reconfigure every WIFI device in my network (I have about 20 Wifi clients in the house), so probably not a 2 minute experiment.

Part of the beauty for me of a mesh network is being to set up something completely separate to the DSL router network. I can't see any theoretical reason why my setup shouldn't be rock solid, so I don't particular want to change it unless there is a good reason (I mean, an actual technical reason why AP mode would be more robust that router mode).

OK, I was perhaps getting confused about AP mode. I think there was a mode where you needed to port all of the IP settings from the main router, but AP modes looks to be pretty much plug and play. I'll give it a try...

Regards,

Chris.

ps - I also learned a little more about ICMP filtering - which may be part of the reason I was seeing the dropped packets with multiple MTRs running in parallel. I am changing my debug technique to only run a single MTR command at a time, to take that out of the equation.

Options