WiFi Deaf in Large Lot Urban Neighborhood

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-04-11 02:52:11
Tags: #Installation #Coverage
Model: EAP610-Outdoor  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.6

I put an EAP610 Outdoor 30' off the ground on an unused TV tower to provide coverage around the house and down the street.  Neighborhood has 0.5 to 0.75 Acre lots, so not dense urban.  EAP Rogue IP lists 10 pages of other AP's which is itself not surprising.  Walking around the neighborhood using WiFiMan app, I can see -65 dBm to -77 dBm from the EAP which would usually be sufficient to keep a connection.  Trouble is the EAP610 is deaf.  Throughput is very poor to non-existent (sub 1 Mbps or fails).  Works great under the tower or within 100', but falls off or fails quickly beyond the property line.  The noise floor is too high?  Desense?  

Phone remains on 2.4 GHz.  5 GHz not visible more than 100' from the tower. 

Tried it with OFDM both on and off (checkbox under one of the Wireless menu's).  Test phone has WiFi 6.  No difference. 

What is your experience in this sort of environment?  Probably not helpful to raise the EAP to roof height and have it see too much of the neighborhood.  Will test an EAP225 Outdoor next.  They work great with 300' coverage in rural areas where neighbors are spaced out 1000 feet or more.  I'll post updates. 

Options
2 Reply
Re:WiFi Deaf in Large Lot Urban Neighborhood
2023-04-11 19:48:42

@RF_Dude 

Even a golf cart can go faster on a rural sideroad than a Ferrari can on an urban highway at rushhour.  Welcome to the magic of unlicensed RF spectrum.

<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Options
Re:WiFi Deaf in Large Lot Urban Neighborhood
2023-04-12 12:52:51

@RF_Dude 

IF you didn't angle the AP down and towards where you want to splash wireless...

You are shooting 30' straight ahead and not angled down.  

You're giving up 30' regardless where you go.  That makes can hinder a lot.  

But also, Wi-Fi is a 2 way street.  Your client needs to be able to reach back.  Cellphones have small wireless cards/antennas compared to laptops.  

I can not teach anyone anything - I can only make them think - Socrates
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 314

Replies: 2

Tags

Installation
Coverage
Related Articles