Router c2300 doesn't allow me to turn off QoS completely and often limits my internet speed in half!

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Router c2300 doesn't allow me to turn off QoS completely and often limits my internet speed in half!

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-04-18 22:03:26
Model: Archer C2300  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: tried all of them

Is there any solution or it's just a general issue with most Tp-link routers?

This 'problem' with halving the speed limit is present in many if not all tp-link models, for example it is certainly present in AX50, AX23, AX10 etc.

Tp-link recommend to use QoS only up to speeds below 300mbps (they won't write it anywhere and say it officially, but one person from the forum support here has talked to them(with the QA team) and shared it in this forum)

What happens realistically is that the moment there is QoS enabled the hardware offloading of the processes is automatically turned off and everything goes through the software, where with these low speed processors, there is nothing else to expect, they can't do QoS at 1000mbps and so automatically reduce to around 300/350mbps. So that's completely expected and logical router behavior.

The real problem though is that on a huge number of their models there is no explicit option to turn off QoS, there is an option to put it on Standard and turn off all devices from Device Priority, which according to them should turn off QoS completely.

That's where the bug is with my model, that even with these settings it doesn't turn off completely and still does something, especially under certain conditions and traffic load it just turns on and limits everything.

Some models have the option to turn off QoS and quite a few others don't.

Does anyone have some fix for this?

Options
2 Reply
Re:Router c2300 doesn't allow me to turn off QoS completely and often limits my internet speed in half!
2023-04-20 21:48:43 - last edited 2023-04-20 21:56:45

@gen66 

Your best bet is to reset the router to its factory defaults. When this is done the QoS settings would be disabled for sure.

Configure the router from scratch and test. The FW version you're looking for is quite old and TBH it's not a good idea.

When router is powered on " Press and hold reset button for more than 5 seconds to reset the router to its factory default settings. "

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
Re:Router c2300 doesn't allow me to turn off QoS completely and often limits my internet speed in half!
2023-04-21 11:41:59

@terziyski Thank you for the reply. I tried this already, few time completely reset it to factory default by holding the reset button. After some time the QoS still works and limits the speed. I guess c2300 version 1 is just bugged beyond repair with its current firmware, unless there is a new firmware version it's useless. Thank you Tp-Link for looking after your clients who spend money. I guess buying a router in 2018 I'm not worth of proper fixes for your defective products.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 250

Replies: 2