Cca vs cu cable over poe?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-04-19 19:44:25

Hello is possibe to have lag problems with cca cables in poe aps?

Its better to use only copper cables?

Options
3 Reply
Re:Cca vs cu cable over poe?
2023-04-19 21:02:28

@dbSoft 

I would think as long as the crimp connectors used have been designed to work with CCA instead of pure copper there should be no issue.  I would think the biggest issue would be galvanic corrosion if exposed to humidity at the Al/Cu interface.    Otherwise, frequency and power wise they should perform similarly.

<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Options
2023-04-21 22:20:19

@d0ugmac1 

I have heard people report that CCA is harder to crimp, the alu core is more malleable vs copper and therefore when crimped can slide/skew and twist making a bad contact.   Personally never seen it myself but I heard it more than once from field guys who would do this daily, kinda people who would know this stuff. 

They also report that it has a tendency to break easier when punched down at the punch join, the slightest wiggle in the cable at all and it will break so solid restraint is the way.  Apparently, they are always re-doing CCA installs if the cable isn't secured 100% in the wall and it just breaks due to this.

Options
2023-04-26 16:17:33
If allowed in your country's building regulations (many places have explicit COPPER-only requirements) and the cables are installed by a professional then it should work just fine. However unless the conditions above apply a proffesional will not sign up for that work, because it might be illegal.
Options