Does the X20 router have a firewall?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-04-22 06:44:32

Hello,  I have alerts on my home NAS for inbound SSH connection attempts from the outside world, the NAS blocked them as authentication had failed, but I'm surprised the connections were permitted by the X20 in the first place. I have not forwarded the ssh ports.

Options
4 Reply
Re:Does the X20 router have a firewall?
2023-04-22 18:31:11 - last edited 2023-04-22 20:57:41

@TeeDee1980 

According to its specs X20 has an SPI Firewall - more on TP-Link firewalls here. Opening particular ports can be done through Deco app port-forwarding, SIP ALG or UPnP feature.

It's quite possible that the SSH port has been opened by the X20 UPnP feature. Disable X20 UPnP (if it's enabled) from the Deco app and check if that resolves the problem.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2023-04-22 19:11:15

@terziyski 

It doesnt look like uPNP is enabled, it seems the X20 doesn't have a firewall unless you pay for the Homeshield Pro subscription service.

Options
2023-04-22 20:29:05 - last edited 2023-04-22 20:30:12

@TeeDee1980 

From Do I Need a Firewall if I Have a Router?: "Home routers use network address translation (NAT) to share a single IP address from your Internet service provide among the multiple computers in your household. When incoming traffic from the Internet reaches your router, your router doesn’t know which computer to forward it to, so it discards the traffic. In effect, the NAT acts as a firewall that prevents incoming requests from reaching your computer."

Without setting port forwarding, enabling UPnP, or configuring DMZ - how would X20 router know to forward ssh traffic to your NAS specifically?

Options
2023-04-22 20:53:24

@Alexandre. 

You raise a very good point, and I do use port forwarding on the NAS for other functions such as an occasional VPN client, but ssh isn't one of them and the NAS is listening on the default port. Sadly the options for configuring or looking at things like log files are minimal. I since took out a 30 day trial for the HomeShieldPro subscription and whilst that may plug the hole, it still doesn't provide any real management facilities. It's all a bit Mickey Mouse really, I plan on buying a proper firewall, using the X20 just in AP mode and canceling the ridiculous subscription.

Options