Intervlan Routing and Load balancing on TL-ER605 Router

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-05-05 15:16:09 - last edited 2023-05-16 06:45:44
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version:

Hello everyone,

In our network, we are planning to make some changes.  Kindly check the details below:

1. We have two ISP lines and one TL-ER605R Multi-WAN gigabit router.

2. We have one Netgear GS612EP 16-port managed PoE switch.

3. We have 2 indoor Netgear WAX610 WiFi6 Access points.

4. We have IP surveillance system (1 NVR + 5 IP Cameras)

Requirements:

We want to implement multi-SSID Wifi networks, example SSID1-APPLE and SSID2-ORANGE in access points.

Traffic from the devices who connect APPLE WiFi netwok should go via ISP1.

Traffic from the devices who connect ORANGE WiFi netwok should go via ISP2.

So I think we have to create 3 different VLANs on the Netgear managed switch.

VLAN2- APPLE-VLAN - 192.168.2.0/24

VLAN3- ORANGE-VLAN - 192.168.3.0/24

VLAN4- SURVEIILANCE - 192.168.4.0/24

On Netgear Access Point- SSID1 --> APPLE --> VLAN2

SSID2 --> ORANGE --> VLAN3

So what configuration we have to implement on TP-Link ER605R router for inter-VLAN routing plus traffic from vlan 2 should go via ISP1 & traffic from vlan 3 & 4 should go via ISP2.

Pleae guide me. We have not configured VLAN settings or Inter-VLAN routing on TL-605R router before.

Regards,

Sagar Patel

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Intervlan Routing and Load balancing on TL-ER605 Router-Solution
2023-05-15 03:03:37 - last edited 2024-01-01 15:55:43

Hello  @Death_Metal,

Thank you gor the guidance.

I tried and implemented the whole solution. I performed following steps:

1) On TL-605 Router:

a. In hardware version 2.0, I created multiple LAN interface.

VLAN 1 - 192.168.0.0/24  (Default) -- DHCP Enabled

VLAN 2 - 192.168.2.0/24  (Apple -- for SSID1) - DHCP Enabled

VLAN 3 - 192.168.3.0/24  (Orange -- for SSID2) - DHCP Enabled

VLAN 4 - 192.168.4.0/24  (CCTV -- For Surveillance) - DHCP Enabled

NOTE: I didn't create VLANs separately here. I tried that also. Icreated VLANs first and then tried to create LAN interfaces but it gave me an error. So I removed all VLANs, created before and then directly created LAN interfaces.

b. Port settings: Port 1 & Port 2 (WAN Ports), Port 5 LAN Port

So based on this configurations, port 5 has all VLANs as TAGGED.

c. Created Policy based routing rules to route VLAN 1,2 traffic from WAN1 and VLAN 3,4 traffic from WAN2.

2) On Netgear 16-Port PoE Managed Switch:

a. I created total 3 VLANs with same VLAN ID. (VLAN 2,3 & 4)

b. Configured Port 1,2 & 3 as TRUNK port.

c. Configured Port 4 to 8  as access port of VLAN 4.

3) On Netgear WAP:

a. Configured multiple SSIDs (Apple -- VLAN 2 & Orange -- VLAN 3).

It worked finally for me. My wireless clients in particular wireless network get IP address from particular DHCP pool on the router.

Thank you once again.

Regards,

Sagar Patel

Recommended Solution
Options
3 Reply
Re:Intervlan Routing and Load balancing on TL-ER605 Router
2023-05-05 16:55:33 - last edited 2024-01-01 15:55:53

@sagar002100 Hello, nice set up you got there. I am not familiar with your non-Omada switch and access points, so my suggestion is mostly "generic"

Informational:

1. ER-605 (and ER-7206 and ER-8411), by default, allows InterVLAN routing. You don't need to have any other configuration

General interconnection tips:

1. Configure those VLANs in your ER-605 in addition to the default VLAN (APPLE-VLAN, ORANGE-VLAN, SURVEIILANCE). Assign these VLANs to all of your ER-605 LAN ports (or choose which one you want) or you can also create a custom profile that only carries the 3 new VLANs (excluding the default VLAN 1). For my instruction, i assume you are using the default "ALL" profile.
  2. Configure your switch Ports 1, 2, and 3 as trunk ports that can carry the default VLAN 1 (as untagged), followed by APPLE-VLAN, ORANGE-VLAN, SURVEIILANCE all tagged. You will need to refer to your manual how to do that.
  3. Configure your Access Points the same way (trunk ports, VLANs, etc). Make sure your SSID is attached to the respective VLAN. You will need to refer to your manual how to do that.
  4. Configure your switch ports 4,5,6,7 as access port, with SURVEIILANCE VLAN. You will need to refer to your manual how to do that. If you don't, your VLAN 1 might start flowing here, Optionally, you can configure all unused ports as disabled,
  5. You need to make sure that the VLAN IDs/Tags/etc. matched from ER-605, to your Switch, to the Access Point. The name does not need to match, but for your sanity, keep it the same (very close)

Policy Routing:

1. Create two policies in the Policy Routing for ER-605
  2. The first one for APPLE VLAN(which should be tied to APPLE WIFI ), select WAN Port for ISP1
  3. The second one for ORANGE VLAN (which should be tied to ORANGE WIFI), select WAN/LAN1 Port for ISP2

You can make this so much easier if you have the full omada-line of devices, then use Omada, since you only need to use one web interface to configure all of this. I understand that it is not always the case, but just letting you know that. The steps I gave are very high level (except may Steps 2 and 3 for Policy routing where I use the exact ports for ER-605 and also referring to trunk ports as "ALL"), meaning, you can follow the steps for any devices and the steps will be very similar, if not exactly the same.

Once you got it running, you may further want to change your network, some doesn't like their VLAN 1 going to switches, some do, so it will be up to you how to run your network.

Good hunting!

Options
Re:Intervlan Routing and Load balancing on TL-ER605 Router-Solution
2023-05-15 03:03:37 - last edited 2024-01-01 15:55:43

Hello  @Death_Metal,

Thank you gor the guidance.

I tried and implemented the whole solution. I performed following steps:

1) On TL-605 Router:

a. In hardware version 2.0, I created multiple LAN interface.

VLAN 1 - 192.168.0.0/24  (Default) -- DHCP Enabled

VLAN 2 - 192.168.2.0/24  (Apple -- for SSID1) - DHCP Enabled

VLAN 3 - 192.168.3.0/24  (Orange -- for SSID2) - DHCP Enabled

VLAN 4 - 192.168.4.0/24  (CCTV -- For Surveillance) - DHCP Enabled

NOTE: I didn't create VLANs separately here. I tried that also. Icreated VLANs first and then tried to create LAN interfaces but it gave me an error. So I removed all VLANs, created before and then directly created LAN interfaces.

b. Port settings: Port 1 & Port 2 (WAN Ports), Port 5 LAN Port

So based on this configurations, port 5 has all VLANs as TAGGED.

c. Created Policy based routing rules to route VLAN 1,2 traffic from WAN1 and VLAN 3,4 traffic from WAN2.

2) On Netgear 16-Port PoE Managed Switch:

a. I created total 3 VLANs with same VLAN ID. (VLAN 2,3 & 4)

b. Configured Port 1,2 & 3 as TRUNK port.

c. Configured Port 4 to 8  as access port of VLAN 4.

3) On Netgear WAP:

a. Configured multiple SSIDs (Apple -- VLAN 2 & Orange -- VLAN 3).

It worked finally for me. My wireless clients in particular wireless network get IP address from particular DHCP pool on the router.

Thank you once again.

Regards,

Sagar Patel

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Intervlan Routing and Load balancing on TL-ER605 Router
2023-05-15 23:36:09 - last edited 2023-05-16 06:45:34

@sagar002100 hey, i'm glad it worked. Great job combing thru the manual. If you didn't know about those concepts I covered here before, now you learned something new :). 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1474

Replies: 3

Related Articles