Multiple extenders, but connecting to each other resulting in no Internet

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-05-08 10:32:25 - last edited 2023-05-09 06:22:41
Model: RE650  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.0.5 Build 20211130 Rel. 77836

Hi,

I have the following tp-link devices:

- Archer AX6000 (router)

- RE450 (extender)

- RE550 (extender)

- RE650 (extender)

I have setup OneMesh and running into issues after I reboot an individual device.

The Archer AX6000, RE450 and RE550 all have the scheduled reboot option, except the RE650. I reboot the devices in a sequence once a week, starting with the router and next the extenders, except the RE650.

However, after they come back up, the extenders often connect to each other, e.g. the RE650 to the RE450 and I can't access them anymore from the cloud and have to either manually reboot them or connect to their WIFI with a manual IP address to access and restart them.

How do I force the extenders to connect to the router or a specific extender and not to each other?

Thanks,

Richard

Options
19 Reply
Re:Multiple extenders, but connecting to each other resulting in no Internet
2023-05-09 07:59:11

@RvdH 

Hi, currently, our range extenders cannot select or fix the signal source if there are several wireless networks with the same name and password.

Regarding the issue mentioned, may I know the location or distance of the router and three extenders? are they all located around the router, or connected like a daisy chain such as extender 2 connects to extender 1?

If the router is located at the center of your house, it is connected to connect all extenders to the router directly for better signal quality and performance instead of extender to extender. So if possible, please relocate the extenders and the router.

In addition, what time did you configure to reboot the router and two extenders automatically? when the issue happens, only the RE650 extender loses internet access or all the three extended networks lose internet? how about the LED status of the extenders?

If you found the post or response helpful, please click Helpful. If an answer solves your problem, click "Recommended Solution" so that others can benefit from it.
Options
2023-05-09 09:23:42

@Sunshine 

I have a 3 floor house with thick concrete floors.

- The router is located at the entrance

- The RE550 is located in the living room

- The RE650 is located on the 2nd floor in the hall

- The RE450 is located on the top floor

If I do a location check, they all show perfect.

The RE450 en RE650, while the signal strength from the router to the RE650 is stronger, connect to each other.

Somehow it doesn't see there is a better signal over the existing and there is no inelegance within the MESH to understand there are more routers/extenders that are part the entire MESH. It doesn't seem to renegotiate the MESH from time to time to see what the best configuration is.

Options
2023-05-09 09:43:41

@RvdH 

Hi, please disable the DHCP on all the extenders, then test if it solves the problem.

How to disable DHCP on the extender: login the web interface of the extender one by one, then go to Settings->Network->DHCP Server, change it from Auto to off and save it. 

If you found the post or response helpful, please click Helpful. If an answer solves your problem, click "Recommended Solution" so that others can benefit from it.
Options
2023-05-09 10:27:12 - last edited 2023-05-09 10:28:02

@Sunshine The DHCP server is already disabled on each extender and they are all using a fixed IP.

Options
2023-05-10 03:49:47

@RvdH 

Hi, may I know if the issue happens every time when the main router reboots?

Please try to reboot the main router manually to see if it can be reproduced easily, if so, please also send us screenshots of the extenders to show they are actually connected to each other.

In addition, what is the hardware and firmware version of all the three extenders and your main router?

Options
2023-05-10 09:14:44

@RvdH 

Yes, I reboot my router and the extenders every Sunday at 3:00am and every Sunday morning I need to turn off the extenders and turn them back on 1 by 1 to prevent them from connecting to each other.

- RE650 v2.0 - 1.0.5 Build 20211130 Rel. 77836

- RE550 1.0 - 1.0.20 Build 230213 Rel.55420n (6985)

- RE450 4.0 - 1.0.20 Build 230213 Rel.55420n (6985)

I created a reboot schedule:

- Router at 3:00am

- RE550 at 3:15am

- RE450 at 3:30am

The main issue I see is the RE650, which doesn't have the scheduled reboot option.

If I go into the app and check my devices after the reboot cycle, I most of the times only see the router and the RE550, not the RE650 and RE450. After I need to power down both the RE450 and RE650, turn back on the RE650, wait till it is live and then turn on the RE450.

If you would turn off the RE650, e.g. because you need the power socket, and turn it back on later, the RE650 often connects to the RE450 and not to the router.

Options
2023-05-10 09:47:41 - last edited 2023-05-10 11:09:57

@RvdH 

I just power cycled my RE650 and this is the result, the RE650 is no longer in the list when I connect with my browser to the router:

If I look at the Tether APP, I see:

After I restarted the RE450, everything returned to normal...

Options
2023-05-11 06:27:59

@RvdH 

Hi, thank you very much for those detailed information.

It is highly recommended to double-check the DHCP Server settings on the extenders, even thought you configured them to use fixed IP address, the DHCP Server might be still Auto, please change DHCP Server to be off on all the three extenders.

Options
2023-05-11 06:47:24 - last edited 2023-05-11 06:48:35

@RvdH No, only the router has the DHCP server enabled, the extenders have it turned OFF

Options
2023-05-11 10:01:26

@RvdH 

Hi, when the problem happens next time, please don't reboot the extenders yet.

Instead, please check the LED status of the extenders to see if they are still connected to any host networks, if so, connect to the non-working extender network such as the RE650 network and then RE450 network.

If internet doesn't work, please check if the client device still obtains any valid IP address from your router, if not, try to configure static IP for the client device and then login the RE450 and RE650 web interface.

Then please check the host network MAC address the extender connects to at that moment, then try to tell if the host network is the router, or another extender, which could help us confirm if the RE450 and RE650 are really connected to each other. 

If you are not sure about which device the host network is, please send me a private message to provide MAC address of each devices and the host network MAC address of the two extenders.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1540

Replies: 19

Related Articles