RE200 Cannot ping device connected to RJ45 connector

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-05-09 14:58:32 - last edited 2023-05-12 11:29:37
Model: RE200  
Hardware Version: V4
Firmware Version: 1.0.8 Build 20210916 Rel. 59255

Setup my RE200 in the basement to provide Internet access for my Wood Pellet Furnace which requires a RJ45 LAN connection. The RE200 has been setup as a wireless adapter. I can connect via wireless to the RE200 and get to the Internet fine. When the Furnace is plugged into the RJ45 LAN connection on the RE200, the LAN Connection LED goes green and the unit is able to get a DHCP IP address and appropriate Gateway/DNS info from my firewall. However, I cannot ping the the units IP address but I do see the IP address in the ARP tables from my PC. Internet connection tests from the unit are failing and it doesn't give me a lot of clues as to why. Plugged in a laptop and couldn't ping it as well either but could access the Internet. What am I missing?

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:RE200 Cannot ping device connected to RJ45 connector-Solution
2023-05-12 11:12:54 - last edited 2023-05-12 11:31:16

Sunshine wrote

@Vadar007 

Hi, the modification of MAC address is due to proxy mode of the RE200, which is a normal behavior.

In Proxy Mode, Range Extender will replace each of its clients’ MAC address with a virtual MAC address generated automatically by Range Extender. Thus the router will take the virtual MAC address of the clients as their real MAC address, so if you have configured some advanced functions on the router such as mac filtering, access control etc. which is based on client MAC address, there will be some issues, because we need to type the virtual MAC addresses of these clients instead of their real MAC addresses. 

For more information, please refer to: How to set up Mac Filtering on router to control the devices connected to the Range Extender

Therefore, may I know if you have configured any mac filtering, access control or parental control etc. on your main router?

In addition, you mentioned that only LAN connection to the extender has such modification, when you connect to extended network via wireless, please double-check the client MAC address on the main router, if indeed no any modification, please also double-check if the client device is connected to router WiFi or extended WiFi especially when they have the same WiFI name.

@Sunshine

You were correct about the wireless behavior. I was tied into the wrong WiFi network. MAC address behavior is same as Direct Connect behavior.

There is some MAC address filtering on the firewall tied to specific devices, e.g. my kids cellphones and laptops but no other firewall rules that would interfere with the Furnace IP access.

So I tried changing the IP address mode (again) on the Furnace Controller Unit from DHCP to manual and noticed it was getting sticky, e.g. not switching modes. I didn't see this behavior previously so I rebooted the Furnace Controller (which I have done multiple times before) and lo and behold access suddenly became active! Frunace has registered itself and all lights are green. The RE200 is free and clear of any involvement. I'll chalk this up to the "Did you turn it off and on again?" troubleshooting gods. Now that it is working I am not going to muck with it anymore.

Thanks for your help. I did learn a little more about how the RE200 operates. I do have one remaining question:

On the Status page of the RE200 the RJ45 connected device(s) do not seem to show as a connected client, is this right?

Recommended Solution
Options
6 Reply
Re:RE200 Cannot ping device connected to RJ45 connector
2023-05-10 02:44:08

@Vadar007 

You mean Wood Pellet Furnace cannot be pinged in the same network or access internet when connected to RE200 via Ethernet cable, while laptop cannot be pinged as well when connected to the same RE200 LAN port, but internet works fine?

For the ping issue, please try to turn off Windows firewall on the laptop, then check if it solves the issue. If so, please also check if there is possible firewall settings on the Wood Pellet Furnace blocking the ping.

By the way, if you connect the  Wood Pellet Furnace and laptop to your router directly via Ethernet cable, is the ping and internet working fine on both devices?

Options
2023-05-10 13:57:39

Sunshine wrote

@Vadar007 

You mean Wood Pellet Furnace cannot be pinged in the same network or access internet when connected to RE200 via Ethernet cable, while laptop cannot be pinged as well when connected to the same RE200 LAN port, but internet works fine?

For the ping issue, please try to turn off Windows firewall on the laptop, then check if it solves the issue. If so, please also check if there is possible firewall settings on the Wood Pellet Furnace blocking the ping.

By the way, if you connect the  Wood Pellet Furnace and laptop to your router directly via Ethernet cable, is the ping and internet working fine on both devices?

@Sunshine 

Ok, so here's what I did.

1) Cannot ping laptop connected to RE200. Disabled Windows Firewall on laptop, connected to RE200 with separate LAN cable and can ping the device successfully and access the Internet - Check

2) Bad cable to RE200 from Wood Pellet Furnace? Plugged one end into RE200 and unplugged cable end going into Furnace Controller and plugged into laptop. Can ping the laptop successfully and access the Internet - Check

3) Plugged LAN cable into Furnace and set to DHCP. All data populating correctly but unable to ping the Furnace or access the Internet. Can see ARP entry in Firewall ARP table. - Partial Fail

4) Configured manual IP/Gateway/DNS. Unable to ping the Furnace or access the Internet. Can see ARP entry in Firewall ARP table. - Partial Fail

What is odd is the MAC address in the ARP table does not match the MAC address the Controller indicates. The first 3 pairs are off but the last three pairs match.

At this point I think the RE200 is functioning correctly and that I have a defective Furnace Controller. The Furnace controller has very limited config and logging capabilities so its hard to be definitive but all indications seem to point that way.

Also noticed that the RE200 admin page does not show clients connected via the RJ45 interface but only wireless connections. Is this accurate?

Options
2023-05-11 10:39:27 - last edited 2023-05-11 11:19:50

@Sunshine 

Okay, the RE200 may not be out of the woods yet.

The Wood Pellet Furnace MAC address is 00:F0:51:00:73:C6
The DHCP assigned IP is 192.168.1.223
The ARP entry on my PC shows 192.168.1.223 with MAC address 8E:13:7E:00:73:C6

The ARP entry the RE200 shows 192.168.1.121 with MAC address 8E:13:7E:8C:13:7E (Pingable)

When I plug in my Laptop to the RE200 I see the same thing
The Laptop MAC address is 24:B6:FD:53:64:52
The ARP entry on my PC shows 192.168.1.24 with MAC address 8E:13:7E:53:64:52 (Pingable)

I do not see this MAC modification behavior when connected wirelessly. 

Why does the RE200 modify the MAC address for any device connected to the RJ45 port?
Does it do some sort of MAC translation on it's interface?

Options
2023-05-12 08:22:45

@Vadar007 

Hi, the modification of MAC address is due to proxy mode of the RE200, which is a normal behavior.

In Proxy Mode, Range Extender will replace each of its clients’ MAC address with a virtual MAC address generated automatically by Range Extender. Thus the router will take the virtual MAC address of the clients as their real MAC address, so if you have configured some advanced functions on the router such as mac filtering, access control etc. which is based on client MAC address, there will be some issues, because we need to type the virtual MAC addresses of these clients instead of their real MAC addresses. 

For more information, please refer to: How to set up Mac Filtering on router to control the devices connected to the Range Extender

Therefore, may I know if you have configured any mac filtering, access control or parental control etc. on your main router?

In addition, you mentioned that only LAN connection to the extender has such modification, when you connect to extended network via wireless, please double-check the client MAC address on the main router, if indeed no any modification, please also double-check if the client device is connected to router WiFi or extended WiFi especially when they have the same WiFI name.

Options
Re:RE200 Cannot ping device connected to RJ45 connector-Solution
2023-05-12 11:12:54 - last edited 2023-05-12 11:31:16

Sunshine wrote

@Vadar007 

@Sunshine

You were correct about the wireless behavior. I was tied into the wrong WiFi network. MAC address behavior is same as Direct Connect behavior.

There is some MAC address filtering on the firewall tied to specific devices, e.g. my kids cellphones and laptops but no other firewall rules that would interfere with the Furnace IP access.

So I tried changing the IP address mode (again) on the Furnace Controller Unit from DHCP to manual and noticed it was getting sticky, e.g. not switching modes. I didn't see this behavior previously so I rebooted the Furnace Controller (which I have done multiple times before) and lo and behold access suddenly became active! Frunace has registered itself and all lights are green. The RE200 is free and clear of any involvement. I'll chalk this up to the "Did you turn it off and on again?" troubleshooting gods. Now that it is working I am not going to muck with it anymore.

Thanks for your help. I did learn a little more about how the RE200 operates. I do have one remaining question:

On the Status page of the RE200 the RJ45 connected device(s) do not seem to show as a connected client, is this right?

Recommended Solution
Options
2023-06-30 20:46:51
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 510

Replies: 6

Related Articles