new router and problems with wi-fi connection to printer

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-05-13 18:17:05 - last edited 2023-05-25 09:39:02
Tags: #device connections wi-fi
Model: Archer AX3000  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I posted a question yesterday but can't find it so maybe it did not get posted properly.

We have a new Internet provider and bought a new router. I was out for a few minutes when the Internet installer was finished and he set up the router with some input from my husband who does not know much about such things.

We ended up with two passwords: #1 connects to the Internet and to my laptop. #2 connects my husbands laptop plus a tablet, two Roku devices, my cell phone and two ebooks to wi - fi. All of these seem to work just fine.

Our Samsung printer (M2070FW) is old and I cannot get it to connect via wi -fi. The online instructions say to use the original CD which contained the driver software. We no longer have a computer with a CD player. I did find a driver online and installed that but it did not help. 

I have my laptop connected to the printer with a cable and that works. My husband is able to access the printer using password #2 even when the cable between my laptop and the printer is unconnected.

So should we change our passwords to just have one password? Or is there something else we should do?

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:new router and problems with wi-fi connection to printer-Solution
2023-05-24 20:59:53 - last edited 2023-05-25 09:39:02

@woozle 

I have managed to solve this problem:

1. I changed password #2 to be the same as password #1. The result of that was that neither laptop could access the printer via wi-fi.

2.So I deleted the printer from both laptops. On my computer I deleted all the related software and then re installed it. This was from the Samsung site and the software included wi-fi connection software.

I had to reboot my computer a couple times and the router once to do this but now the printer connects to both laptops via wi-fi.

Recommended Solution
Options
11 Reply
Re:new router and problems with wi-fi connection to printer
2023-05-13 19:06:53 - last edited 2023-05-13 19:07:31

@mullaleyi 

Hi,

First, you can easily find all your previous posts if you click on your account name (when using a desktop web browser it's in the top right corner) and then click on "My Posts".

I don't know about the Samsung M2070FW in particular, but normally there is no driver CD needed to connect a Wi-Fi capable printer to a Wi-Fi network. There is usually a way to do this via the physical control panel or keys of the printer itself.

Regarding the two passwords. Do you mean your AX3000 router has two Wi-Fi networks, let say "Name1" and "Name2" and each has a separate password?

Anyway, you can always change the password do be identical for more convenience, but I doubt that would solve any problems.

Options
2023-05-13 20:43:18
Thanks. I will try changing the passwords. With the printer I did press the WPS button and then the one on the router. That is all the control there is with the printer and now the software for the printer just says it is in an error state.
Options
2023-05-13 21:24:36

@mullaleyi 

Connecting the Wi-Fi printer to the Wi-Fi network of the new router is just the first step.
By the way, does the printer have some LED that indicates whether the Wi-Fi is connected or not? If not, then you should log into the Archer AX3000 router and check if it lists the Samsung printer in its list of connected devices.

The IP address of the printer will likely be different from the IP address it used when it was connected to the old router.

Therefore you would certainly have to go through some "Add a printer" dialog on your computer. (how exactly depends on the operating system used)

Options
2023-05-14 11:28:58
I really appreciate your help. The indicator light on the printer says it is online and it is listed in the router site. I have tried the "add printer" dialog but got nowhere. However it is there except for my laptop. I will try changing everything to one new password but do not have time today.
Options
2023-05-14 14:20:18

@mullaleyi 

A couple more thoughts on this.

Was the Archer AX3000 router purchased by you independently from the Internet provider?
If yes, did the Internet installer bring with him another device that could be a Wi-Fi router as well?

Is there a particular reason why your laptop has to be connected to the network that uses password #1?

In case "password #1" connected you to another Wi-Fi router or connected you to a so-called "Guest Network" on the AX3000, then this could lead to the problem you are experiencing.

Options
2023-05-14 14:29:24

@mullaleyi 

Thanks for keeping at this.

I purchased the router separately. The cable internet provider provided a modem. My laptop password (#1) is the connection to the Internet via the router. 

Options
2023-05-14 19:57:56

@mullaleyi 

I am getting the impression that the Wi-Fi network that uses password #1 and the Wi-Fi network that uses password #2 are configured in a way so that they are separated from each other. If that was the case, then your laptop that is connected to the network with password #1 just won't be able to connect to the printer on the other network.

What if you connect the laptop to the Wi-Fi network that uses password #2? Can it then connect with the printer?

Anyway, without being able to look though the settings of the router it will be tough to solve this.

Do you think you could post a screenshot of the AX3000's "wireless settings" configuration screen here? (if you do, then make sure you don't show any real passwords)

Options
2023-05-15 09:44:24

@woozle 

Thanks again. I will work on this later today.

Options
2023-05-16 15:38:09

@woozle 

The format for this forum does not allow paste of a screenshot or a link from my computer so I cannot give you a screen shot. I tried uploading it as a photo and that did not work for me either.

I cannot use password #2 on my computer.

I have sent an email to tech support to ask how to change passwords. 

Options
Re:new router and problems with wi-fi connection to printer-Solution
2023-05-24 20:59:53 - last edited 2023-05-25 09:39:02

@woozle 

I have managed to solve this problem:

1. I changed password #2 to be the same as password #1. The result of that was that neither laptop could access the printer via wi-fi.

2.So I deleted the printer from both laptops. On my computer I deleted all the related software and then re installed it. This was from the Samsung site and the software included wi-fi connection software.

I had to reboot my computer a couple times and the router once to do this but now the printer connects to both laptops via wi-fi.

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 674

Replies: 11

Tags

device connections wi-fi
Related Articles