Option to disable management/admin access from the internet after initial setup
Option to disable management/admin access from the internet after initial setup
2023-05-16 07:08:54
Tags: #Remote access
Model: Deco XE75 Pro  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.03

Hi,

I have just setup my new Deco's, and to my amazement (not in a good way) I noticed that when I am at work, the Deco App can still connect and see all clients on my home LAN. Not only that, I can even manage the network from this remote location.

This means that someone from TP-Link support, could also just go in and change my network. In fact, anyone who has control over TP-Link can go into my router and change settings, or even worse look around on my network and devices.

I would like to be able to disable this. I would like that only clients connected to my LAN can access the router to manage it. I think it should be a choice of the user whether they want to allow this remote access or not. Especially given that the TP-Link is Chinese, and China has a very poor reputation regarding respecting privacy / monitoring the public.

There is no technical need for this remote access once it is setup. I have used routers for years without any remote access. I understand that it is convenient for setting up the devices, but after that it should be possible to disable this. There is no such thing as "cloud based device" when it comes to a router. There is no part of the operation of the devices that requires something on the cloud in order to function. The protocols and technologies are not designed that way. 

Options
3 Reply
RE:Option to disable management/admin access from the internet after initial setup
2023-09-09 07:56:28
I completely agree that there is no reason that a disable remote admin option can not be easily added.
Options
Re:Option to disable management/admin access from the internet after initial setup
2023-11-27 16:27:19 - last edited 2023-11-27 16:29:30

@TP-Link Your absolute negligence of reality has been mentioned in this article:

xda-developers. com/tp-link-deco-xe75-release

(Remove the space between "." and "com")

They said it's great but don't buy it because of the lack of privacy. So take that, bad PR.

The only reason the Decos should ever connect to the internet is for software updates. For the dumb general population who doesn't care for security, don't change anything, just add an option to completely disable all form of communication between the Deco and the internet. (Obviously, devices should still be able to access the internet through the router, just not the Deco itself.) If I want remote access, I can use a VPN (which I already do through my media server which I set up before the update to the Deco adding a VPN server came out.)

To say that you guys are secure so it's fine is super negligent. Even the f*cking military has gotten hacked before. Those hacker kids in the UK who hacked all the big companies didn't bother with TP-Link because y'all are below their level. One of the kids leaked GTA 6 in a hotel room with only an Amazon Firestick.

Also, what happens if the Chinese go to war and take over the company?

Options
Re:Option to disable management/admin access from the internet after initial setup
2023-11-27 20:59:01

+1000

Options

Information

Helpful: 4

Views: 760

Replies: 3

Voters 4

Tags

Remote access