Will extender with different SSID be seen on same network?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-05-22 15:07:08 - last edited 2023-05-23 11:29:48
Model: RE330  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: Unknown

Hi all,

I'm thinking of adding an RE330 to my Deco setup. I know that it won't form part of my mesh, but I've a reason for wanting to add it.

Essentially, I want to add it to my network in a waterproof enclosure outside the house. I also want to give it a slightly different SSID so that I can limit the devices that can connect to it.

The query I have is whether those devices connected to it will be seen on the host network.

This is why. I have a Philips Hue hub connected to my Deco. I then run some garden string lights off a Philips Hue plug, with an identical string running off a Tapo smart plug on the other side of the garden.

Due to a repositioning of my Deco satellite, the Tapo plug reports a weak connection to my Deco network.

I've an Alexa routine set up to turn all of my garden lights on. My Echos are all connected to my mesh.

What I want to achieve is that running the routine will trigger both the Hue smart plug, and the Tapo smart plug, even though the Hue Bridge is connected to my Deco via Ethernet and the Tapo will be connected to the extender (which will have a different SSID).

Will Alexa see both, or only the lights connected via Hue as they're connected to the same SSID?

Many thanks,

S.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Will extender with different SSID be seen on same network?-Solution
2023-05-23 02:55:29 - last edited 2023-05-23 11:29:48

@Shrops 

Hi, even though the extender uses a different SSID, the extender client device is still within the same network as the host network as the host network is the DHCP Server and assign IP address to extender client devices as well. 

Therefore, the extender client device will be seen by the host network client device as well.

Recommended Solution
Options
2 Reply
Re:Will extender with different SSID be seen on same network?-Solution
2023-05-23 02:55:29 - last edited 2023-05-23 11:29:48

@Shrops 

Hi, even though the extender uses a different SSID, the extender client device is still within the same network as the host network as the host network is the DHCP Server and assign IP address to extender client devices as well. 

Therefore, the extender client device will be seen by the host network client device as well.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Will extender with different SSID be seen on same network?
2023-05-23 06:06:46

@Sunshine Thank you!

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 363

Replies: 2

Related Articles