Deco M5 only seems to work when connected to ethernet cable

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-06-02 05:33:53 - last edited 2023-06-02 12:49:33
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 1.6.5 Build 20230110 Rel. 41561

I had 3 M5s set up in the house and I recently bought another one. At first, setting it up was a pain. I finally set it up right beside the main M5 and it seemed to work, it went green. I brought it back to where I was planning to set it up, and it would seemingly randomly decide to work or not. Sometimes it would turn green, but say it was offline on the app. Other times it would stay pulsing red. I was able to connect it to my PC with an ethernet cable, but when I ran speed tests it was less than 1 mbps or just wouldn't connect at all. 

After a bunch of factory resets and firmware updates, I can only ever get the light to go green if I plug it directly into another M5. I even made it the main M5 for a bit, and the whole network wouldn't work unless I linked it to a satellite M5 with an ethernet cable. And all the other satellites would connect to the plugged satellite instead of the main. 

Currently, when I try to add it again to the network from the app, it gets discovered and I'm able to go through the process. It says it was successfully added, but the LED stays stuck in a solid blue state and stays offline on the app (unless I plug it in).

Honestly, I think whatever wireless hardware this M5 has is broken, but do you guys think I can do anything else? 

I'm from the Philippines and my ISP is PLDT.

Options
2 Reply
Re:Deco M5 only seems to work when connected to ethernet cable
2023-06-03 08:23:05

An update: I set up the unit as its own network. It set up just fine, and I was able to connect to it from my phone and laptop. I got around 80 mbps when my laptop was right beside it (yes this is low, but unfortunately that is the standard of where we live). However, when I move just 10 feet away from the mesh, the speed drops all the way down to 3 mbps. I will try updating the firmware and see how it goes.

Options
Re:Deco M5 only seems to work when connected to ethernet cable
2023-06-03 13:52:28

@Mmfo7 

Sounds like broken hardware. I would suggest installing WiFi analyzer on smartphone. Then, from the distance of 6 feet take readings of signal strength of "new" M5. Do same for one of "old" M5. If readings for "new" M5 are substantially worse, that must be hardware issue, just like you guessed initially.

When taking readings, every time turn WiFi off/on to force smartphone rescan WiFi networks and provide you with fresh, not stale, info.

For WiFi analyzer app, I recommend WiFiman from Ubiquiti. You can find it in Android and Apple app stores.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 244

Replies: 2

Related Articles