UNKNOWN Client name

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

UNKNOWN Client name

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
UNKNOWN Client name
UNKNOWN Client name
2023-06-03 13:37:31 - last edited 2023-06-03 13:44:58
Model: Archer AX10  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.3.4 Build 20230220 Rel. 71494(5553)

A stupid question for a very small problem.

In my router's client list, I find myself with clients whose name is UNKNOWN.  Based on their MAC address, I'm able to identify these clients, which are usually my family members' iPhones or iPads.  I change the client name of this device in the tp-link TETHER application and it's fine for a while.  However, after a while, I find myself with an UNKNOWN client name on some of these devices, and not all at the same time.

Does anyone have an explanation? Do I have to go to Access Control to specify which devices are allowed on my network so that it can remember the customer's name?

P.S.: Hardware version v1.20

Options
3 Reply
Re:UNKNOWN Client name
2023-06-03 14:08:51

@LeclercRouthier 

Hi,

This might be caused by the iPhones and iPads changing their MAC address randomly.

To stop this from happening take your iOS devices, tap on the wireless network name of your Archer AX10 (or the (i) next to it) and switch off the feature called "Use Private Address" or "Private Wi-Fi Address" (depending on the iOS version). 

Options
2023-06-03 15:04:23

@woozle 

Very interesting. I didn't realize this feature could be activated or deactivated by network.

Many thanks for this information.

Options
2023-06-04 08:05:11

@LeclercRouthier 

This problem was mentioned under Bug Fixes for the latest beta firmware for the AX55. In being a known problem, it may get fixed in a future firmware release for your router.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 552

Replies: 3

Related Articles