Is the SR20 Router+Hub Combo still viable today?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-06-12 19:11:24
Model: SR20  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Recently I've been introduced to KASA Smart home devices. 

I ended a 5 year contract with a "brand-name security monitoring company" and had a house full of ZWAVE devices and sensors that are controlled by a proprietary Security Panel that is locked to the "brand name security monitoring company".  Long story short, this led me to explore setting up self-monitor and smart home devices without the monitoring company middle-man. 

I started with a set of HS103 KASA Smart Plugs, which impressed me a lot with how simple they are to set-up and they don't require anything other than a wifi connection (ie: no hub) like many other smart home devices.  I liked them enough to try other KASA devices. Such as the KASA Doorbell (since my existing doorbell no longer functions without the security monitoring contract. 

This brings me to the SR20 Smart Router.  I was feeling that it was time to update my existing Wireless router (still working and reliable, just old) with something newer and I see the KASA SR20 which advertised a built in smart hub for ZigBee/Zwave devices.  This seems like an attractive opportunity to kill two birds with one stone and the price is reasonable. 

However ...  after installing and setting up the SR20 (which was a little awkward),  I have discovered that the hardware is listed by TP-Link as "end of life" and the last firmware update appears to been 2019/2020.  Further more, after some more digging, it appears that the Zwave functionality has been discontinued in the Kasa App, as one user reported, and I can't find any way to check or add ZWave devices like my Kwikset Door lock which is listed as a compatible device by TP-Link.  

This leaves me with in awkward spot.  Is it worth keeping this SR20 router or returning it and investing in a different, more modern router (one that supports WiFi 6/7) and forget about the integrated Smart Hub since KASA and TAPO devices don't even need it.  Without Zigbee/Zwave functionality does the HUB even do anything now? Does the smart hub at least help manage the KASA devices and improve the efficiency of the Wifi network and demand on Router?  

Or should I just give-up on the SR20 and just use a normal non-Smart Hub router instead? Is there any advantage to keeping this SR20? 

Options
2 Reply
Re:Is the SR20 Router+Hub Combo still viable today?
2023-06-13 08:25:50

@J_Shaw 

Hey

This is just my own opinion, but NO I dont see any reason for you keeping the SR20 at this stage, im actually surprised you can still buy them!

The SR20 was end of life 4 years ago and therefore wont get any updates, support or firmwares.  If you are spending the money on new hardware, buy new hardware that you can at least be guaranteed will be supported for a few years.

Yes the Zigbee and Bluetooth are handy in that device, but again its the older version of BT so will lack some support for newer devices.   Also safety wise, an older unsupported router is a noticable risk

Perhaps being an IT guy we are fickle about these things, but we have our reasons for wanting new hardware regularly. 

Options
Re:Is the SR20 Router+Hub Combo still viable today?
2023-06-18 01:04:56
Thanks for the quick response. :) I appreciate the advice and I have arranged to return the router for a different model.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 269

Replies: 2

Related Articles