Deco M5 recommended Modem/Router

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-06-13 05:51:38
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version:

Hi.

I own 3 Deco M5 satelites and using them in router mode.

However, I am unable to get full 1Gbps speeds in the main Deco unit using PPPOE. I was told by my service provider that the Deco M5 is known to have issues reaching this speed and was recommended to add a dedicated Modem/Router that will interface with the Mesh network which the Deco M5 is configured in Access mode.

Looking for recommendation as to which router to choose.

Thanks in advance

Dekel

Options
5 Reply
Re:Deco M5 recommended Modem/Router
2023-06-13 08:09:56

@Dekel 

Personally never seen this before, generally the M5 has performed well as it has a 1gbps port and should be able to handle that speed.   How are you testing this?   What speeds are you getting?  

My obvious choice for you would just be to add a new Deco in the Main Position that is a newer / faster model.   Something like the X20 or X50 would be the obvious choice.    Sticking with a newer deco will integrate into what you have already, where as if you choose a 3rd party or other router its adding additonal complication.

Options
2023-06-13 08:57:41
My test involves running the deco app speed test and getting speeds at the 400~500mbps. I also run speedtests on my PC connected via ethernet to the main deco and I get sub optimal speeds. (400~600 mbps) However, When I connect to my fiber directly using a Dialup PPPOE connection with my laptop I get 900~1000 Mbps. Dekel
Options
2023-06-13 09:55:37

@Dekel 

In fairness the M5 was probably never designed for full 1gbps WAN speeds, as a model its been around for a few years now so throughput may be limited, not something I have personally tested above 500mbps connections.   Likely a newer model inserted as your Main Node would be the answer, you can then keep the M5s as the mesh nodes.

Options
2023-06-13 13:23:58 - last edited 2023-06-13 13:24:12

@Dekel 

In my opinion, the easiest option would be to ask your service provider supply you with their modem/router, and use Deco mesh in Access Point mode. 

Options
2023-06-13 13:58:30

@Alexandre. 

That is also a valid option!

Should you go ISP Router, you may want to disable the WiFi on the ISP Router and use just the Deco as the two networks wont integrate cleanly for you.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 408

Replies: 5

Related Articles