Connecting PC to router with Ethernet when in Range Extender mode

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-06-13 18:45:17 - last edited 2023-06-16 09:01:27
Model: TL-WR840N  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

A few days ago my WLAN Extender stopped working, so I put up my router WR840N (I'll call it "Extender" here) in Range Extender mode (my main router is around 15 meters away), cause I have a spare one (from my second residence).

Anyway, the "Extender" connected to the router just fine and when connecting my devices via WLAN to the Extender, it works normally.

But the problem is, that I can't connect to the internet when connecting my PC to the Extender with an Ethernet cable.

In the settings of the Extender my PC is listed normally (also got an IP), but on the PC it says "not connected to the internet" (and yeah, it doesn't work).

So, is this normal that I can't connect via Ethernet when in Range Extender mode, or do I have to change some settings first?

The Ethernet ports in general are working fine by the way, cause in my second residence, where it's used in Wireless Router mode, I can also connect via Ethernet just fine.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Connecting PC to router with Ethernet when in Range Extender mode-Solution
2023-06-13 19:43:54 - last edited 2023-06-16 09:01:27

@kontroversi 

Make sure that you're with the latest FW release for your device - observe the bottom sticker to determine the its region and HW version and upgrade if there's a newer FW release.

Check your PC network settings, when connected through a cable. You mentioned that you've received a valid IP address on your PC.

Check the DNS IP address as well - it should be the IP address of your main router. Try to ping the main router LAN IP address from your PC.

If you have a ping reply, but no internet - set the PC with static IP address (within the LAN IP range of your main router subnet) and set DNS like 1.1.1.1 or 8.8.8.8, then test the connectivity.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Recommended Solution
Options
2 Reply
Re:Connecting PC to router with Ethernet when in Range Extender mode-Solution
2023-06-13 19:43:54 - last edited 2023-06-16 09:01:27

@kontroversi 

Make sure that you're with the latest FW release for your device - observe the bottom sticker to determine the its region and HW version and upgrade if there's a newer FW release.

Check your PC network settings, when connected through a cable. You mentioned that you've received a valid IP address on your PC.

Check the DNS IP address as well - it should be the IP address of your main router. Try to ping the main router LAN IP address from your PC.

If you have a ping reply, but no internet - set the PC with static IP address (within the LAN IP range of your main router subnet) and set DNS like 1.1.1.1 or 8.8.8.8, then test the connectivity.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Connecting PC to router with Ethernet when in Range Extender mode
2023-06-16 09:04:59

@terziyski 

Thank you very much for the fast reply!

The problem was the IP adress, which wasn't the same as the one from the main router, as well as the DNS,  which was 0.0.0.0. After changing to 1.1.1.1 everything works fine now.

Options

Information

Helpful: 2

Views: 1130

Replies: 2

Related Articles