setup for second router

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

setup for second router

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
setup for second router
setup for second router
2023-06-18 15:14:42
Model: Archer AX10  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: Newest

I bought an Archer AX10 in the hopes of using it as an access point to extend my WIFI upstairs. I have a 2600 SF home(1400 down, 1200 up). My downstairs router is an Archer AX20. The AX20 is wired to a switch in my basement and I ran a second wire out of a LAN port on the AX20 into the WAN port of the AX10. Both routers work fine and have great signal on both frequencies. My question is what can I do to make one router “handoff”(hopefully the right word) to the other and vice versa when switching floors? Right now you have to physically switch routers on your devices WIFI settings. I should state that the AX10 was switched to access point operation mode.

Options
2 Reply
Re:setup for second router
2023-06-18 23:19:17 - last edited 2023-06-19 15:22:28

@rp3703 

What you're describing is called seamless roaming. That's a feature of the mesh networks (like EasyMesh).

This has been implemented in AX20 v3, but not in AX10. Here you can see what are the router models that can be used in EasyMesh with an ethernet backhaul.

Despite that, you can still achieve a decent switching of your client device between the two wireless radio (routers).

Switching to another wireless radio (router) depends on the client device - not the router.

That means if the client device thinks that the current wireless signal is still strong enough, it won't switch to another wireless radio (router).

To stimulate the client device make this switch, you could lower the transmission power of desired wireless bands from high to middle:

Try that and check if the your device switching between the two routers automatically.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
Re:setup for second router
2023-06-19 12:25:20

@terziyski I actually was messing with it yesterday and through the Tether App realized that even though I had switched the upstairs AX10 to AP mode, it still needed to run through a setup process to link it to the AX20 downstairs. Once that was done, I just had to re-label the upstairs to match the down and everything seems to be working now. I will say, as easy as this was to do in the end, the instructions from TP-link were not. Other than some vague instructions on how to switch to access point mode, I found nothing else. Not knowing if I needed to implement their One Mesh or Easy Mesh system in order to make it work only made things more confusing. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 734

Replies: 2

Related Articles