Incompatible Powerline Kits?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-06-20 08:25:42
Tags: #powerline
Model: TL-WPA7517 KIT  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version:

I have successfully installed the TL-WPA7517 powerline kit to extend my wifi connection from one end of my second floor to the other.

Now I want to have a wifi connection on my first floor as well, so in order to extend it I found a TL-WPA1000 Kit Powerline AV1000 AC1200 on Amazon

I simply tried to add the wireless extender from the new kit to the existing network but I couldn't find a way to make it work.

So I installed both the adapter and the extender from the new kit by pairing them. So now my router is linked to not one but two powerline adapters at the same time. It's less than ideal but I can live with it.

Then I relocated the new wireless extender on my first floor and the problems started. The connection is unstable, the Powerline Led will go off on the extender every 36 hours or so, and I have to repeat the pairing. When this happens, the powerline led goes off on the powerline adapter on my 2nd floor too, which is weird. If I try to repeat the pairing, the Power led flashes instead of the Powerline led. So I have to disconnect both components of the kit and start over.

This has happened almost every day and even twice a day for the past week. I am exhausted. Sometimes the connection is there but devices won't be able to connect to it (e.g. my computer says "Internet is unavailable").

Where did I go wrong? Are the two kits incompatible and interfering? Tp-Link support is MIA as usual.

Thanks in advance to anyone who'll try and help! 🙏

Options
4 Reply
Re:Incompatible Powerline Kits?
2023-06-21 08:46:12

@eleonorang 

Hello, thank you for posting on TP-Link Community.

1. All TP-Link HomePlug AV/AV2 powerline devices are compatible with each other, but the connection or stability can be affected by powerline interference, could you please try to move the new extender closer to the router or move it to the second floor as well for testing only?

2. Normally you don't need to connect the router to two powerline adapters at the same time, you could unplug the new powerline adapter, then pair the new extender with one of the previous two powerline devices, if they can be paired successfully, the new extender will receive internet from the previous powerline adapter as well.

If you found the post or response helpful, please click Helpful. If an answer solves your problem, click "Recommended Solution" so that others can benefit from it.
Options
2023-06-21 12:23:10

@Sunshine thank you for getting back!

Update: I think I know for sure now that my treadmill is interfering with the powerline extender. My treadmill is located on the bottom floor in the same room as the extender. The moment I turn the treadmill on, the powerline led on the extender immediately turns off.

What's bothering the extender may either be the treadmill electrical connection or its Bluetooth connection. Is this possible? May it help to move the extender or the treadmill in two separate rooms? 

Re. point 2) I've tried many times to connect the new extender to the old adapter in order to avoid having two adapters installed. But it won't work. No matter how hard I try, if I press Pair on the adapter and Pair on the extender, the Power leds on the adapter and on the extender start blinking, whereas the Powerline leds on both devices stays off. This is so weird! Perhaps this is because one adapter is AV1000 AC750 and the other one is AV1000 AC1200?

Options
2023-06-21 12:53:49
@Sunshine Also, to answer your question: the extender works if I relocate it on the second floor
Options
2023-06-26 10:35:57

@eleonorang 

Hi, thank you for the reply.

1. I suppose it might be due to the treadmill electrical connection since it is the powerline LED turnning off, usually Bluetooth will affect wireless connection.

You could try to move either of them to different rooms to see if it will be better.

2. They are indeed compatible, if they are unable to be paired via pair button, you could also consider trying other methods to pair them:

1) Pair the new extender with the original extender via pair button, instead of the adapter

2) Add the new extender to the existing powerline network via Powerline Utility: How to add an extra Powerline adapter to the existing Powerline network by adding the powerline key on tpPLC Utility

If you found the post or response helpful, please click Helpful. If an answer solves your problem, click "Recommended Solution" so that others can benefit from it.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 604

Replies: 4

Tags

powerline
Related Articles