AX55 USB 3.0 read speed is too slow

2023-06-27 14:29:38 - last edited 2023-06-27 14:45:55
Model: Archer AX55  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.2.3 Build 20230603 rel.46473(5553)

Hi, I've attached my External Hard Drive to the USB 3.0 port in my router AX55 and configure it as Samba, but the read speed is too slow, not more than 32MB/s:

The same drive in my computer reads at 100MB/s.

Is this a bug?

Here the performance of my router when I copy the file:

Additional details:

- My Disk is a Seagate Backup Plus Portable 4TB, NTFS

- PC connected through Ethernet 1000Mbps, speed tested

Options
3 Reply
Re:AX55 USB 3.0 read speed is too slow
2023-06-28 09:58:02

@Macrox 

Hi, thank you for posting on TP-Link Community.

Due to the limit of the CPU capability and the concern to provide stable network connection, the USB 3.0 port on the router could not reach the speed that works on the computer. A router's hardware is designed mainly to handle network data transmission, for USB transmission, the router has to work like a computer, and of course its hardware is not comparable with a computer.

According to our test result, around 30MBps for USB 3.0 port on this router is the actual speed and so does the routers from other manufactures in the market.

So, the USB 3.0 speed of your router is normal.

If you found the post or response helpful, please click Helpful. If an answer solves your problem, click "Recommended Solution" so that others can benefit from it.
Options
2023-06-28 16:32:31

@Sunshine 

Thank you for the clarification

Options
2023-12-13 18:20:02
Complete nonsense and deception, I fell for the marketing with this router, now I’m choosing a new router after 2 weeks of use. Explain to me why you decided to call the USB version 3.0 and not exactly 2.0? Because you painted it blue? Well then I will understand the TP-link. Googling will not take even 2 minutes to get an idea of ​​​​the operating speeds of both 2.0 and 3.0 versions, and the operation of your port exactly fits the definition of technology that was 20 years old. It was USB 3.0 that was the starting feature when I was looking for a new router, which, by the way, I change no more than once every 5 years. My hard drive (WD easystore 5TB) shows on the PC an average of 100 MB/sec for reading and writing and about 15 MB/secangry when working through a router, using a gigabit wired connection or WIFI6. To say that I’m disappointed is an understatement, because the USB 3.0 port was the defining feature when choosing a router. I would like to see a fix for this problem in the next firmware. 
Imagine how stupid this is with my 500 Mbit Internet (Ukraine Kyiv), I download torrents at a speed of about 40-45 MB per second and then upload them to a hard drive 5 meters away from me at a speed of 17 MB. I’m already silent that the torrent client itself was an option in routers 10 years ago.
And finally, who told you that write around 30 MB sec is the norm? Where is this rule stated? There are Asus routers that show around 60 in this price range, a little more expensive than Microtik they give 100MB of reading and writing to the disk.

File:
IMG_5101.JPGDownload
Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 994

Replies: 3

Related Articles