network problems with mesh wifi system

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-07-03 09:29:25
Model: Deco M4  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.1.8 Build 20191102 Rel. 58333

I just installed a TP Link Mesh WiFi system last night that works perfectly with my phone and laptop. However, I keep on having problems with my PC.

My network status keeps changing to 'No Internet, secured' periodically. I can temporarily fix the problem by right clicking the connection in Control Panel > Network and Internet > Network Connections and clicking Diagnose. After going through the diagnosis, most of the time, the problem found is 'The default gateway is not available'. 

For more information, the main deco unit is located in the living room which is connected to the wifi modem with an ethernet cable. I have a second deco unit in my bedroom (which is connected wirelessly to the main deco). My PC is also located in my bedroom. I tried setting the mode to Access Point but the problem is still occuring. 

What should I do to fix this? I cannot connect from my PC to the modem or main deco unit as my setup is in the bedroom while these are located in the living room. Can I connect from my PC to the second deco unit?

Options
2 Reply
Re:network problems with mesh wifi system
2023-07-03 11:53:06 - last edited 2023-07-03 11:59:42

@jillyfish 

There may be multiple reasons for the issue you described, so I'll give you general recommendations on tuning Deco mesh, they might help with PC issue.

1. Keep Deco mesh running in Access Point mode.

In AP mode, there are way less configuration settings in Deco mesh which could go wrong. Also, in general, Deco mesh could deliver better performance when running in AP mode.

2. Check if Satellite Deco has good link to Main Deco.

If Satellite Deco is too far from Main Deco, this could cause issues with Deco mesh and devices using it. 

Open Satellite Deco info page in Deco app and see what it says for Signal, example:

For a good link, you should see Fair or Good Signal. If it says Weak, that means Satellite Deco is too far from Main Deco. Keep moving Satellite closer to Main Deco till you get at least Fair Signal.

3. Connect PC with Satellite Deco by Ethernet cable.

If the issue is related to PC WiFi network adapter communicating with Deco mesh, Ethernet link between PC and Satellite Deco will be good workaround. As you have both PC and Satellite Deco in the same room, connecting them with Ethernet cable makes sense, at least for troubleshooting.

Note that this will only help if Satellite Deco has good link to Main Deco. If Signal reported by Satellite Deco is Weak, you must deal with that first.

Options
Re:network problems with mesh wifi system
2023-07-03 11:58:57 - last edited 2023-07-03 12:00:29

@jillyfish 

One more thing: your M4 firmware is really old: 1.1.8 from 2019. The latest firmware version for M4 V2 is 1.5.4 from 2022. Consider upgrading M4 firmware as the first step. That may address many potential issues, and may also add better WiFi security options. For example, if your Deco app does not offer WPA2 under WiFi Settings/2.4 GHz & 5 GHz Network/Security, then you absolutely must upgrade M4 firmware and enable WPA2 after that.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1084

Replies: 2

Related Articles