Need help with VLANs for VOIP and IoT

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-07-04 01:59:32 - last edited 2023-07-06 09:38:43
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 2.1.2 Build 20230210 Rel.62992

I need some help.  Here is the network equipment that I have (mostly TP) ...

• TP Link ER605 router v2, Firmware: 2.1.2 Build 20230210 Rel.62992
  • TP Link TL-SG108E 8 port switch v6, Fireware: 1.0.0 Build 20230218 Rel.50633
  • 2 x TP Link 24 port unmanaged switches
  • 1 x TP Link 8 port unmanaged switch (for my NASs)
  • 3 x X55 TP Link Deco as Access Points
  • 4 x old eero wifi as Access Points (going to use these to set up a IoT network)
  • 1 x VOIP adapter (from VOIPly)

What I want to to is isolate the VOIP adapter onto its on LAN / VLAN (2) and the 4 old eero wifi APs in a separate LAN / VLAN (3).  I also want to turn on QoS for the VOIP and set up eero LAN for IoT.

I can set up a different LAN on the ER605 router (port 4) for the VOIP and it keeps working, has access to the intenet and I get get a dial tone.  I haven't worked out the QoS as yet.

I have tried to set up a different LAN for the eero APs (port 5 on the router) with a cable from router port 5 to SG108E port 1 ... and the 4 eero hardwired to ports 2, 3, 4 and 5 on the SG108E switch.  As soon as I do that, the switch and the eero disappear into their own special LAN bubble, no access to the switch via an IP, no internet for the eeros.

Have I got this completely wrong?  Is there something I am missing?  Any suggested reading?

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Need help with VLANs for VOIP and IoT-Solution
2023-07-05 04:15:08 - last edited 2023-07-06 09:38:43

Hi @RuffHi,

Before we jump in, you have to make sure that your eero units support VLAN (or SSID VLAN). Or you have to use it like your VOIP for. Set up a port for the main eero as untagged with VLAN ID and PVID for your eero APs. You can only have one VLAN applied to the eero system.

Assuming your eero does not support tagging, what it should look like:

About the QoS config and parameters, please refer to the 4.6.5 QoS, User Guide of Omada Controller.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Recommended Solution
Options
6 Reply
Re:Need help with VLANs for VOIP and IoT-Solution
2023-07-05 04:15:08 - last edited 2023-07-06 09:38:43

Hi @RuffHi,

Before we jump in, you have to make sure that your eero units support VLAN (or SSID VLAN). Or you have to use it like your VOIP for. Set up a port for the main eero as untagged with VLAN ID and PVID for your eero APs. You can only have one VLAN applied to the eero system.

Assuming your eero does not support tagging, what it should look like:

About the QoS config and parameters, please refer to the 4.6.5 QoS, User Guide of Omada Controller.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Need help with VLANs for VOIP and IoT
2023-07-05 10:03:38

@Clive_A Thanks Clive.

If I understand what you have said ... does this look right?

First off ... ER605 router, LAN configuration ...

Next ... TL-SG108E switch, 802.1Q config ...

Finally, the PVID page ...

Options
2023-07-05 10:07:27 - last edited 2023-07-05 10:50:40

Findings ...

• I can still get to the switch
  • I can ping the switch
  • I cannot ping the old eero IP address location from VLAN1
  • I can ping the new eero IP address location from VLAN3

I just changed one of my Alexa units to the new IoT wireless network.  I will monitor how that goes.

Options
2023-07-05 14:44:43

Clive_A wrote

I did some googling and I can see lots of comments about eero not supporting VLANs.  That is fine by me ... they are in Bridge mode and I am just using them as access points.  Similar to my X55 Deco setup (ER605 is The Router, Deco and eero units are just APs).

I have restarted all of the eero APs and they are all on the new network.  Three are hardwired, one is wifi connected.  I was a little concerned about the wifi connected one and I was wondering which network it would hit up (the IoT network or my home network).  I guess it hit up the other eero for the right network and went with the IoT one.  I might give it a fixed IP address and use the vlan mapping feature.

Options
2023-07-06 03:49:23

Hi @RuffHi 

Your settings look fine to me. Nothing wrong with it.

What you should worry about now is that if eero units support other PVID. Not sure if eero units can work with e.g. PVID = 3. Usually, it should work fine. But if eero does not support that at all, then you have to put eero into VLAN 1(PVID = 1, too).

Not very sure about your expression "hit up", do you mean interfere with other WiFi networks? If you do mean by that, make sure your channel is not overlapped, and you should be good. To further optimize the channel, it would require a frequency scanner to check if there is any overlap. Here is a guide for you that may be helpful: How to optimize wireless performance of EAP products

Options
2023-07-06 09:38:30

Thanks for the post.  I appreciate your help.

Clive_A wrote:

Your settings look fine to me. Nothing wrong with it.

What you should worry about now is that if eero units support other PVID. Not sure if eero units can work with e.g. PVID = 3. Usually, it should work fine. But if eero does not support that at all, then you have to put eero into VLAN 1(PVID = 1, too). 

It looks like it is doing fine.  I have moved all my Alexa units from my home network to my IoT network.  They can answer questions (ie get to the internet) and seem just like normal.  There are some features I haven't tried as yet (ie drop in) but I am sure I will get there.

Clive_A wrote:

Not very sure about your expression "hit up", do you mean interfere with other WiFi networks? If you do mean by that, make sure your channel is not overlapped, and you should be good. To further optimize the channel, it would require a frequency scanner to check if there is any overlap. Here is a guide for you that may be helpful: How to optimize wireless performance of EAP products

'Hit up' as in ... to ask someone for something (I can't post an external link .. because I am a noob?  google "hit up").  I expect that the wifi connected eero is asking the other eero's for the network they are on ... and joining in with them.

Very good point about the channel ... I will break out my wifi phone app and take a look at what is what.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 490

Replies: 6

Related Articles