Create new VLAN, assigning Router LAN interfaces - Confused

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-07-05 14:43:14 - last edited 2023-07-06 13:45:20
Tags: #VLAN
Model: General Product  
Hardware Version: V5
Firmware Version:

Hi

I'm confused in configuring a new VLAN.

I see all the router ports so I guess I could select one only (and deselect it from the other vlans) so that this port would work with only this new vlan?

If so, then would that create a loopback if I connect the same switch to this port (I already have the switch connected for the uplink) ?

All tutorials I have seen always select all ports but if I connect more that one cable from the same switch I get a loopback issue.

Thanks for clarifying this configuration aspect

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Create new VLAN, assigning Router LAN interfaces - Confused-Solution
2023-07-06 13:04:10 - last edited 2023-07-06 13:45:20

@MwaItou 

You can either just add you new VLAN to one port or any combination of ports, it simply means that the VLAN is available on that port.  Not adding it to any other port is a crude form of security.  The LAN VLAN is always available on all ports on a TPlink router.

You should never connect two wires between the same two switches, at least not unless they are LAG'd together.  Instead you simply ADD your second VLAN to the same port that is already connected to the switch (so port three would have LAN, LAN-010 and LAN-020 on it).  You can adjust the port profile (via the switch config, if you need to change which VLAN is native to that port--as I discussed earlier)

<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Recommended Solution
Options
4 Reply
Re:Create new VLAN, assigning Router LAN interfaces - Confused
2023-07-05 16:13:06

@MwaItou 

VLAN 101:

VLANs are trunked between devices (1 cable, multiple VLANs assigned to both ports)

VLAN ports have 1 native VLAN (PVID) and can have multiple VLAN tagged ports.

EXAMPLE

A router has a management subnet (VLAN1) which is untagged, and 2 user subnets, each with their own VLAN id, let's call them VLAN10 and VLAN20.  The router connects downstream to a managed switch on port1 which supports an AP on port2 and 3 wired cameras on ports 6,7 and 8 which need to be in VLAN20.  The AP has two wireless networks WN1 and WN2 which are mapped to VLAN10 and VLAN20 respectively.

Router port:  VLAN1-untagged and VLAN10 and VLAN20, PVID set to VLAN1

SwitchP1:  VLAN1-untagged and VLAN10 and VLAN20, PVID set to VLAN1

SwitchP2:  VLAN1-untagged and VLAN10 and VLAN20, PVID set to VLAN1 (primarily to allow wireless users connected to WN1 mapped to subnet/VLAN10)

SwitchP6/7/8: VLAN20-untagged; PVID set to VLAN20

Options
2023-07-06 12:54:00

@d0ugmac1 

Thanks, but I am still confused on the router port selection when creating a new LAN.

Next picture is for the default LAN network. Notice all the LAN interface (Router) checkboxes are selected. If I understand correctly, that would mean the LAN is available for all those router ports.

Now, here's my LAN 10

I selected all the LAN interfaces (router ports)

What I am not clear is

1) As I have only PORT 3 connected on the ROUTER to my switch, should I only select PORT 3 on the vlan?

2) If I create another VLAN using router interface PORT 4 only, can I connect another port from the same switch to it? I guess that would make a loopback? Or maybe if I remove PORT 4 from the default LAN it would fix this? Guess then that those on that new VLAN wouldn't see anything on the LAN then...

Options
Re:Create new VLAN, assigning Router LAN interfaces - Confused-Solution
2023-07-06 13:04:10 - last edited 2023-07-06 13:45:20

@MwaItou 

You can either just add you new VLAN to one port or any combination of ports, it simply means that the VLAN is available on that port.  Not adding it to any other port is a crude form of security.  The LAN VLAN is always available on all ports on a TPlink router.

You should never connect two wires between the same two switches, at least not unless they are LAG'd together.  Instead you simply ADD your second VLAN to the same port that is already connected to the switch (so port three would have LAN, LAN-010 and LAN-020 on it).  You can adjust the port profile (via the switch config, if you need to change which VLAN is native to that port--as I discussed earlier)

Recommended Solution
Options
2023-07-06 13:45:16

@d0ugmac1 

Thank you so much for a clear explanation.

My initial (wrong) thought was that I would have:

• Router port 3 with VLAN 10
  • Router Port 4 with VLAN 20, 30

and have some sort of seggregation this way but since the LAN (VLAN 1) is always on ALL ports then a loopback would occur.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 402

Replies: 4

Tags

VLAN
Related Articles