Should I update Firmware?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-07-07 17:17:09
Tags: #Firmware Update #Speed
Model: Archer AX50  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.11 Build 20210730 rel.54485(4555)

Hello,

even though I have no option to update firmware from the Tp-Link router web UI, should I do it anyway?

Router's Web UI says I'm fine...  But apparently the dates from build are not that fine...  20210730

And yes, I have all tons of issues with speed, limited to 250-290Mbits down, UP is 500 as it should be (500/550 on ISP level), QoS switched off and bandwidth set, restarted many times, factory resseted many times, still without router running at full speed etc, so before I try something else, does anyone have an idea if I can simply download manually Firmware from usual page:
https://www.tp-link.com/cz/support/download/archer-ax50/#Firmware

and install this one?  Archer AX50(EU)_V1_220526

My HW version says exactly: Archer AX50 v1.0

No EU or US or any region.

So...  Can I install it and see if things improve? Or would that brick it?

Thanks for any ideas,

Petr

Options
2 Reply
Re:Should I update Firmware?
2023-07-08 04:15:51

@PetrE123 

In general, if you try to update router's FW with FW release from another region, an error message should pop-up during the procedure.
The device bottom sticker would provide the details for HW version and the Region of your router:

I see that your browser has redirected you to the Czech support portal - you should have EU region FW on your AX50.

Having that in mind, you should be fine to manually update the FW with the Archer AX50(EU)_V1_220526 release.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
Re:Should I update Firmware?
2023-07-08 17:23:52

@terziyski 

Thank you very much for your effort.

I was hoping that I would see the right version from the router UI, but ok... I've unmounted the device to check that there is EU (shame why it's not visible in the SW).

Also shame that the version displayed on the router web UI looks pretty much differently than any coding of the FW names on the support pages online... 

Frankly, I would kick the guy in the as* with very sharp shoes for that... 

The other thing is that even downgrading to older versions did not solve the speed issues.

Whole router behaves in undeterministic manners. It can be advised for usage maybe for some users with 100Mbit max, higher speeds can bring different issues with tons of possible solutions...switching off QoS,, setting given bandwidth, switching to Access point, switching Full Duplex 1Gbit etc... and for some of us, it did not help.

Do not buy TP-Link Archer AX50, guys :-)

It's a trap...

Thanks for help,

Petr

TP-Link Archer AX50

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 681

Replies: 2

Related Articles