Software controller moved to another VLAN, now all devices are disconnected !!!! Help!

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Software controller moved to another VLAN, now all devices are disconnected !!!! Help!

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-07-10 00:58:15 - last edited 2023-07-10 22:18:24
Hardware Version: V5
Firmware Version:

Software controller was on 192.168.0.1/24 subnet and I moved it to 192.168.10.1/24 subnet.

After that all my devices are shown as disconnected.

How do I reconnect them?

Thank you

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Software controller moved to another VLAN, now all devices are disconnected !!!! Help!-Solution
2023-07-10 12:19:48 - last edited 2023-07-10 22:18:24

@MwaItou 

You should try and see :-)
you must run the discovery tool on a windows pc on the same network as your devices, you cannot run it on a pc with the omada controller installed.
there must also be an opening between vlan on port 29810-29816 to the controller.

you also need site username and password

when you start the discovery tool you will see how to configure the devices.

Recommended Solution
Options
9 Reply
Re:Software controller moved to another VLAN, now all devices are disconnected !!!! Help!
2023-07-10 02:53:36 - last edited 2023-07-10 02:55:11

@MwaItou 

you have to tell all your device where controller is located. you can use dhcp option 138 or Omada discovery tool.

if you have omada router you have to use discovery tool on router.

Options
Re:Software controller moved to another VLAN, now all devices are disconnected !!!! Help!
2023-07-10 12:03:19
Ok, how would I do that since all my devices are disconnected? I can't edit their config. I can ping them though. How would the discovery tool help?
Options
Re:Software controller moved to another VLAN, now all devices are disconnected !!!! Help!-Solution
2023-07-10 12:19:48 - last edited 2023-07-10 22:18:24

@MwaItou 

You should try and see :-)
you must run the discovery tool on a windows pc on the same network as your devices, you cannot run it on a pc with the omada controller installed.
there must also be an opening between vlan on port 29810-29816 to the controller.

you also need site username and password

when you start the discovery tool you will see how to configure the devices.

Recommended Solution
Options
2023-07-10 17:22:45
Well, tried that yesterday and I had to move my server back to LAN for the devices to be connected. Using the discovery tool, I had once seen all the devices in it but had no idea of what to do next. There are buttons but not sure (or afraid to try) of what they ultimately do. I don't want to mess up the config.
Options
2023-07-10 17:42:12

@MwaItou 

To help prevent this from happening in future.  Use a FQDN for your controller instead of IP. 

This will allow you to change the IP of the controller whenever, and the devices will remain connected. 

Something like " Omada.yourdomain.com " that points to your controller public. 

Also as said above.  Make sure all the ports are open on computer / device hosting OMADA. And adding DHCP option 136 to your controller will help devices hit the controller.

I've had to factory reset devices, then re join to controller.  This is fine, because all the settings for the devices is in OMADA. 

Options
2023-07-10 21:56:44 - last edited 2023-07-10 22:01:06

@DaKings 

I ran into this problem with Omada and I don't have a Windows machine to run the discovery utility on...

Basically if you move away from the default 192.168.0.1/24 subnet you will have problems, particularly if you need to replace/reset an Omada router. Replacing the router turns your entire network back to the one default subnet. If the controller is not on this subnet then it will never be discovered and never able to adopt and provisioned the router. To fix this you have to manually configure the router in stand alone mode then try to readopt it into the network, which defeats the purpose of having a centrally managed SDN in the first place.

My solution was to use the default subnet as the 'Management' subnet, with client devices on other VLANs. This way you can' simply replace/reset any Router, Switch, AP or controller without any 'manual' configuration.

(I previously used the DHCP 138 option, but this obviously doesn't work when replacing/resetting the router, same story when using FQDN for the controller)

Options
2023-07-10 22:15:39

I, finally, successfully, switched my controller to VLAN 10.

This was fun, not!

My controller is on my NAS as a container, which is now 192.168.10.2

What I had to do was, as suggested, move one PC to the 192.168.0.1/24 subnet by plugging directly in the router and use the discovery utility on that PC.

The utility then listed all my 3 devices, select them all then clicking the "batch setting" button, entering the new IP of the NAS (192.168.10.2), name and password, and clicking OK.

Waited a bit until all is done then got back my PC to 192.168.10.1/24 subnet (VLAN 10).

Accessed the controller on 192.168.10.2, updated the controller IP in Omada (Global -> Settings -> System Settings -> Controller Hostname/IP) to 192.168.10.2. Although I could left this empty and it will auto pickup the right IP?

A good thing my NAS has 2 NICs, I change one at a time so that I can still have access. And I also glad I had configured some leftover switch ports, one for VLAN 1 and another for VLAN 10, switching cables as needed.

Thanks for the help and pointers, really appreciated heart

Options
2023-07-10 22:17:34 - last edited 2023-07-10 22:17:58

@Tescophil 

I am not clear about your second to last paragraph... By default subnet for the management lan, you mean 192.168.0.1? It's not already like this by default?

Options
2023-07-10 22:33:56

@MwaItou 

Yes, I used the default subnet of 192.168.0.1/24 as my management LAN. Do this, and there is no need for any manual config of new devices, use of DHCP option 138 or the discovery utility. Everything is just plug and play.

If you try and use another VLAN for device management it _will_ introduce manual configuration and special 'discovery' software (Windows only FFS!) into the process which misses the mark entirely for what is supposed to be a centrally managed SDN solution.

Options