Votes

DHCP settings for IoT network

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Votes

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-07-20 19:28:53
Tags: #IoT
Model: Archer AX55  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.2.3 Build 20230603 rel.46473(4555)

Hello !!

I really like the possibility to have a very own IoT network to isolate any device from the private network.

I only found one issue thought.

I have my own DNS server at home running on a raspberry pi and I configured it as the primary AND secondary DNS with the DHCP settings, like this I'm sure 100% of my network use my own DNS.

The problem is, IoT network got the same DHCP settings than the private network, so as soon as I isolated every device, they are isolated from the only DNS server available and they turn offline.

Is there a way to have a custom DHCP settings for the IoT network?

Thanks !

Options
3 Reply
Re:DHCP settings for IoT network
2023-07-25 09:31:46

@Saku241 

Hi, IoT network is a separate Wi-Fi designed for IoT devices. IoT network devices are NOT isolated from the main network, devices connected to the IoT network can communicate with the main network.

Except for the IoT network, did you configure any other settings like AP isolation or device isolation etc.?

If you found the post or response helpful, please click Helpful. If an answer solves your problem, click "Recommended Solution" so that others can benefit from it.
Options
2023-07-25 09:40:41

@Sunshine 

Hello, 

yes I put every device on my IoT network in device isolation

Options
2023-07-25 09:47:52 - last edited 2023-07-25 18:43:25

@Saku241 

I have the same setup here with all IoT devices isolated.  My testing shows that they can not access anything on the main network, the router, or even other isolated devices.

The solution is place your DNS server in an upstream network, perhaps the same network that your AX55's WAN port is connected to.

CORRECTION:  Devices connected to the IoT network and isolated can communicate with each other.  I confirmed this with an iPad instead of using a PC. For some unknown reason the PC would not connect to another device with a web interface during initial testing.

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 431

Replies: 3

Voters 1

Tags

IoT