Roaming doesn't seem to work or takes ages

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-07-22 19:53:17 - last edited 2023-07-22 19:59:23
Model: Deco PX50  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.3 Build 20230420 Rel. 77020

Hi, The roaming feature doesn't seem to be working well with my PX50 mesh for a number of devices.

For example I have two deco PX50's in the house and one in the garage so I can get wifi in the garden (in theory). Problem is the roaming doesn't seem to be working and the devices will hang on for dear life to the deco units in the house once I go outside giving internet speeds too low to even watch a youtube video.

This is verified using the deco app and I can see which access point the device is connected to.

If I toggle on/off the wifi on the device such as a phone or laptop then they will connect to the nearest deco unit same when going back into the house. It only seems to switch over on it's own when the connection is lost.

Fast roaming is turned on in the app.

Will there be a firmware fix or option in future to change the behavior of fast roaming so it's more likely to tell the client device that a closer access point is out there? Does being in access point mode vs router affect it?

Options
11 Reply
Re:Roaming doesn't seem to work or takes ages
2023-07-23 08:08:27

@Alexmesh You're supposed to disable fast roaming & enable beamforming

Just a M4 (2-pack) user who regrets buying it
Options
2023-07-23 12:46:00

@ImtiazAli Why do I need to disable fast roaming when that is the thing that is supposed to make it seamless walking around without disconnection? Beam forming is enabled.

Options
2023-07-23 15:23:33 - last edited 2023-07-23 15:24:24

@Alexmesh 

You should keep Fast Roaming and Beamforming enabled. Make sure Mesh is enable for every mobile device you want to roam between Deco nodes.

See configuration guide article: Get to Know Fast Roaming / Seamless Roaming on a Deco System

The easiest way to convince mobile devices switch between Deco nodes faster is to disable 2.4GHz on Main Network, you should try that:

Options
2023-07-23 16:07:48 - last edited 2023-07-23 16:10:09

@Alexandre. Annoyingly I have many devices that are 2.4ghz only and even with the guest network enabled and 5ghz only selected my phone doesn't connect to it (laptop does).

Also the powerline backhaul isn't working the pods all seem to connect via wifi vs powerline which is causing lots of connectivity problems given how congested wifi is around here.

Options
2023-07-23 16:16:34

@Alexmesh 

If your phone runs on WiFi 2.4GHz, that would explain why it is reluctant to roam. Nothing TP-Link can do about it. Try with device that can run on WiFi5, and temporarily disable 2.4GHz on Main Network. See if that device can roam now.

Options
2023-07-23 16:20:16

@Alexandre. It can see the 5ghz mode but can't connect to it.

Do you have a PX50 and have you had any trouble with powerline backhaul not working? It just shows as wireless in the app and performance suggests that only wifi backhaul is being used also. The app is too limited and doesn't give any control of backhaul modes.

Options
2023-07-23 16:31:16 - last edited 2023-07-23 17:13:58

@Alexmesh 

I have general experience with powerline adapters, not with Deco powerline capable units specifically. 

There is not much you can do with any powerline equipment, if it does not want to establish powerline link. 

You can Google for hints and best practices of deploying powerline adapters, what will be said there is applicable to your Deco as well. Perhaps, something might help. 

Still, if Deco powerline does not work for you, I would suggest to pack Deco units and send them back. No time spent on troubleshooting will change your home electric wiring and what is plugged to outlets in your house.

Options
2023-07-23 17:20:38

@Alexandre. Thing is I've had them on the same power strip also and they still connected via wifi, I can't work that out unless there is a firmware problem or hardware issue. I know powerline will never be as good as ethernet but all I want is to be able to stream youtube videos whilst I'm pottering out in the garden and roam seamlessly both things this product claims to do but isn't happening. I hold my breath for a solution as there isn't really anything like them on the market hence why I made the investment and purchased them.

Options
2023-07-23 17:27:02 - last edited 2023-07-23 17:28:30

Alexmesh wrote

@Alexandre. Thing is I've had them on the same power strip also and they still connected via wifi, I can't work that out unless there is a firmware problem or hardware issue. I know powerline will never be as good as ethernet but all I want is to be able to stream youtube videos whilst I'm pottering out in the garden and roam seamlessly both things this product claims to do but isn't happening. I hold my breath for a solution as there isn't really anything like them on the market hence why I made the investment and purchased them.

@Alexmesh 

The roaming problem can be fixed (or mitigated) for devices that support WiFi5, you need to figure why your smartphone can't connect on WiFi5, that is unlikely Deco (exclusive) problem.

As for powerlines, there is another option. Get pair of standard powerline adapters (TP-Link brand is recommended) and see if they can establish powerline link. If they do, get pair of "standard" X50s (or any other Deco models of your liking) and connect them through these adapters. You now replicated PX50 setup.

Options
2023-07-23 17:30:44

@Alexandre. The phone is from 2022 so I assume it should (blackview a95) and can see 5ghz networks but fails to connect. The laptop can connect however.

With the powerline stuff I've heard that others on here can't get it to work either and they have escalated it to the engineers, on amazon there are a few reviews mentioning it also they couldn't get it to work in the same outlet.

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 2302

Replies: 11

Related Articles