Powerline Wi-Fi 2.4GHz download extremely slow to connect and transfer

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-07-29 14:24:27
Model: TL-WPA8631P KIT  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 3.0.1 Build 20220401 Rel. 55133

I recently bought a powerline Wi-Fi kit and it works great except for one thing: the 2.4GHz download speed is extremely slow. Three years since this other member's post and I'm experiencing the same issue: https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/222828.

My home setup is:

• iiNet (Australia) NBN FTTB 100Mbps and we connect at around 108Mbps

• Devices:
    • LIFX globes x15 on 2.4GHz only by design ⚠️
    • Wyze security cameras x3 on 2.4GHz only by design ⚠️
    • MacBook Air x1, iPad x1, iPhones x2 on 5GHz ✅
    • Linux/Windows Intel NUC x1 on 5GHz  ✅
    • Windows laptops x2 for work on 5GHz  ✅
    • Apple TV x2 on 5GHz  ✅

• Modem = ASUS DSL-AC55U, which has Wi-Fi 2.4GHz and 5GHz but the telephone cable is in a stupid place so it doesn't reach everywhere; hence, the powerline Wi-Fi kit

• Connecting to Wi-Fi:
    • ASUS DSL-AC55U 5GHz connection = almost instant
    • ASUS DSL-AC55U 2.4GHz connection = almost instant
    • TP-LINK AV1300 5GHz connection = almost instant
    • TP-LINK AV1300 2.4GHz connection = ~15-20 seconds but sometimes times out and asks for a password

• Connecting to iiNet's custom Speedtest site, i.e. bypassing the rest of the Internet:
    • ASUS DSL-AC55U 5GHz transfers = ~6ms ping + 108Mbps18Mbps (out of max. 20Mbps)
    • ASUS DSL-AC55U 2.4GHz transfers = ~9ms ping + 30Mbps + 15Mbps (out of max. 20Mbps)
    • TP-LINK AV1300 5GHz transfers = ~10ms ping + 100+Mbps download18Mbps (out of max. 20Mbps)
    • TP-LINK AV1300 2.4GHz transfers = ~13ms ping (after page load of >10 seconds) + 0.2Mbps download1.6Mbps upload (usually around 18Mbps) + general page loads around 10-15 seconds!
      IMPORTANT: 2.4GHz download always remains low at ~0.2Mbps yet upload speed fluctuates from 1.5Mbps - 18.0Mbps out of max. 20Mbps

LAN speeds the same ☹️

The same speeds result when just transferring files within the LAN.

Devices on the 2.4GHz impacted 😢

I have all my LIFX globes and security cameras on the 2.4GHz and this connection and speed issue causes drop-outs with the devices. The slow 2.4GHz download speed occurs no matter which power point I plug into. The power point I have plugged into isn't the best speed I can get in my apartment; however, its position in the apartment is perfectly in the middle and the data rates are more than sufficient to reach above 0.2Mbps (i.e. 2,500x higher than what I'm getting):

• Main unit -> Repeater = 250Mbps
  • Repeater -> Main unit = 237Mbps

Theory 🤔

It feels like:

• a firmware issue is causing the 2.4GHz download speed to be in a loop causing slow-down
  • the driver is not developed properly for the radio hardware
  • the radio hardware itself is not working

My next step is to call in a warranty claim, as the 2.4GHz band is important for running my home devices and it simply is failing.

Solutions?

Is there any way to telnet or logon to the router to see whether its CPU is spiking or a process is in a loop?

Are there any other solutions I can try? When compared to the DSL modem router that can perform so well on 2.4GHz, I don't understand why the TP-Link Wi-Fi 2.4GHz performs so badly on its download. I know the upload speed in my latest test wasn't great, too, but that's usually not the case. It's the download that is terrible. There's something wrong that I'm sure can be fixed.

Thanks,

Brian.

Options
3 Reply
Re:Powerline Wi-Fi 2.4GHz download extremely slow to connect and transfer
2023-07-30 01:28:19

@pasiphaetp I forgot to mention that I do not have the DSL modem Wi-Fi and the powerline Wi-Fi on at the same time. When testing the speeds above, I only had one device at a time with Wi-Fi on, both 2.4GHz and 5GHz.

Options
2023-08-01 10:53:36 - last edited 2023-08-01 10:55:17

@pasiphaetp 

Hi, thank you very much for the posting on TP-Link Community.

Please refer to this guide to login the web interface of the powerline extender: How to log into the web-based management interface of Powerline ac Extender

Then go to Wireless->Settings page to change the 2.4G WiFi channel and channel width to see if it helps.

In addition, please also try to check firmware update and update to the latest firmware version:

How to update the firmware of Powerline ac Extender via web-based management interface

Options
2023-08-02 00:06:42 - last edited 2023-08-02 00:13:25

Thanks @Sunshine. Before posting, I had troubleshooted quite extensively so I can confirm the following:

• Firmware is up to date
    • I've just double-checked it and it's on the latest for v3. See screenshot below.
  • 2.4GHz channel width is currrently set to Auto. I had previously tried 20MHz and 40MHz but found Auto to be the better option. However, I just tried them again now:
    • 20MHz result:
      • pages attempted to load but didn't complete
      • router login page would eventually load after ~30 seconds but changing the channel width setting and pushing Save resulted in a message overlay saing "Failed"
      • my ISP custom speed test (iiNet) took ~15 seconds to load but, when run, displayed an error message saying where the page said "Could not connect"
    • 40MHz result:
      • pages loaded but took around 10-15 seconds, including the router's own config pages
      • my ISP custom speed test (iiNet) took ~10 seonds to load and ran - see results screenshot below; I've added the 5GHz screenshot for comparison and, yes, I know they have different maximum speeds but the 2.4GHz should be getting closer to at least half the speed of the 5GHz, especially since the ASUS modem/router can achieve this no problem in the same location

Screenshots

1. Firmware up to date:

2. Speed of 2.4GHz using TP-Link powerline Wi-Fi (and compare this 0.4Mbps to ASUS 30Mbps in the same location using the same config):

3. Speed of 5GHz using TP-Link powerline Wi-Fi:

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 403

Replies: 3

Related Articles