IoT vs Guest network

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

IoT vs Guest network

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
IoT vs Guest network
IoT vs Guest network
2023-07-31 09:09:26

Hi

Currently using mesh network made up of XE200, X75 and X50 Outdoor. 

Please can someone explain to me the difference between setting up an IoT network vs a guest network to use for separating out a group of devices?

I recently started using the guest network to improve connection with Ring Devices (as suggested in multiple other threads) but am wondering if I would be better to use an IoT network. 

Are there any advantages of one vs the other or are they the same thing except for name?!

Thanks

Options
11 Reply
Re:IoT vs Guest network
2023-07-31 10:10:55

Hi  @Rossy100 

The IoT network is 2.4 gHz only, guest network is like main network but isolated. 

I'm very glad about the addition of IoT network since now I can have my devices in main, guests in guest and IoT in its dedicated network (I had a ubiquity with openWRT dedicated to IoT before, that now it's gone), and all visible in the App.

Options
2023-07-31 12:06:28

@Kiu Thanks. I am assuming then that there is no difference (other than name) between IoT network and guest network configured for 2.4 only?

Options
2023-07-31 13:58:51

Rossy100 wrote

@Kiu Thanks. I am assuming then that there is no difference (other than name) between IoT network and guest network configured for 2.4 only?

@Rossy100 

There are differences, as far as I understand.

IoT network: not insulated from Main network, does support "connection preference" for devices

Guest network: always insulated from Main network with Deco mesh in Router mode, does not support "connection preference" for devices

Options
2023-08-27 03:50:09

@Rossy100 I'm assuming this feature is not yet available on XE75 Pro models? I bought a 3 pack today but don't see a way of setting up a separate IoT network. There is an option to add various supported smart hubs like Hue but don't see any separate network options. 

Rossy100 wrote

Hi

Currently using mesh network made up of XE200, X75 and X50 Outdoor. 

Please can someone explain to me the difference between setting up an IoT network vs a guest network to use for separating out a group of devices?

I recently started using the guest network to improve connection with Ring Devices (as suggested in multiple other threads) but am wondering if I would be better to use an IoT network. 

Are there any advantages of one vs the other or are they the same thing except for name?!

Thanks

Options
2023-08-27 08:16:53

@FastNWide you need to update the software. In setting in app go to system > update and see if the update is available to do there. 

if not then wil need to do manually using this link...

https://www.tp-link.com/uk/support/download/deco-xe75-pro/v1/#Firmware

Options
2023-08-27 13:30:44

Rossy100 wrote

@FastNWide you need to update the software. In setting in app go to system > update and see if the update is available to do there. 

if not then wil need to do manually using this link...

https://www.tp-link.com/uk/support/download/deco-xe75-pro/v1/#Firmware

When I check for new firmware using the app it says all my devices are up to date with version 1.1.1 of the firmware from March 2023 but on the website it looks like there was a more recent release. Do you know if these releases are region dependent? I live in Canada.   @Rossy100 

Options
2023-08-27 13:44:03

@FastNWide sorry but I'm not sure re regions. Hopefully one of the TP Link reps on here can confirm. 

Options
2023-08-27 14:45:28 - last edited 2023-08-27 14:46:52

FastNWide wrote

When I check for new firmware using the app it says all my devices are up to date with version 1.1.1 of the firmware from March 2023 but on the website it looks like there was a more recent release. Do you know if these releases are region dependent? I live in Canada.  

@FastNWide 

There is firmware version 1.2.1 available for Canada: https://www.tp-link.com/ca/support/download/deco-xe75-pro/#Firmware

You can wait till it is available in Deco app under Update Deco, or download firmware and update your XE75 Pro manually. 

Options
2023-08-27 15:10:38

Alexandre. wrote

FastNWide wrote

When I check for new firmware using the app it says all my devices are up to date with version 1.1.1 of the firmware from March 2023 but on the website it looks like there was a more recent release. Do you know if these releases are region dependent? I live in Canada.  

@FastNWide 

There is firmware version 1.2.1 available for Canada: https://www.tp-link.com/ca/support/download/deco-xe75-pro/#Firmware

You can wait till it is available in Deco app under Update Deco, or download firmware and update your XE75 Pro manually. 

Seems I'm able to upload the firmware file as when I click update it says operation succeeded but then the firmware upgrade itself fails. I'm trying it from my computer which is connected wirelessly as I don't have any devices connected directly to my deco routers. Tried it several times but no luck.

How long does it normally take for the firmware updates to be available through the app?? @Alexandre. 

Options
2023-08-27 15:22:51 - last edited 2023-08-27 15:24:33

FastNWide wrote

Seems I'm able to upload the firmware file as when I click update it says operation succeeded but then the firmware upgrade itself fails. I'm trying it from my computer which is connected wirelessly as I don't have any devices connected directly to my deco routers. Tried it several times but no luck.

@FastNWide 

If you have Windows computer, you may need to unblock the firmware .bin file before doing firmware upgrade. Right click on unzipped firmware file, select properties and in the window that opens (example below) put checkmark on Unblock. Then press OK and try firmware update again.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2422

Replies: 11

Related Articles