Deco in Access Point mode still has a seperate SSID

2023-08-02 15:45:45 - last edited 2023-08-03 09:03:50
Model: Deco M9 Plus  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.6.1

Hi,

I've setup my deco via the Deco app. I have intially had to set it up as a router, then I have changed the settings to be an access point. I don't understand why the new network I originally setup up is still braodcasting an SSID when it is now in AP mode?

The setup I have is ISP router > ethernet connection to Deco M9 Plus (in AP mode) > wireless connection to another Deco m9 plus (AP)

I'd be greatful if someone can shed some light! 

Thanks!

Options
2 Accepted Solutions
Re:Deco in Access Point mode still has a seperate SSID-Solution
2023-08-02 19:20:26 - last edited 2023-08-03 09:03:50

@ManchesterUK 

Deco mesh will always run its own WiFi network. This is the only way to guarantee seamless roaming of a device between WiFi nodes.

For Deco, AP mode means that third-party router will manage network (IP addresses, static IPs, whitelisting, etc.) while Deco mesh will provide WiFi and (almost) nothing else.

Recommended Solution
Options
2023-08-04 10:04:32 - last edited 2023-08-08 10:16:52

@ManchesterUK 

Exactly, your Deco SSID will become your new wireless network and you should only connect to that. What I do is disable the WiFi in your main router and then rename the Deco SSID to the same name as your original network with the same password. 

That way your existing devices will just start connecting to deco WiFi without needing to reconnect them all. 

-- Deco X50-POE user
Recommended Solution
Options
8 Reply
2023-08-02 19:20:26 - last edited 2023-08-03 09:03:50

@ManchesterUK 

Deco mesh will always run its own WiFi network. This is the only way to guarantee seamless roaming of a device between WiFi nodes.

For Deco, AP mode means that third-party router will manage network (IP addresses, static IPs, whitelisting, etc.) while Deco mesh will provide WiFi and (almost) nothing else.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Deco in Access Point mode still has a seperate SSID
2023-08-03 09:06:08
Thanks for taking the time to respond Alexandre. Still not sure I fully understand why it broadcasts a separate SSID, but I have hidden this SSID. I wish there was something I could read to understand it better. At least I know it's normal behavior though! Thanks again.
Options
2023-08-03 14:17:54

ManchesterUK wrote

Thanks for taking the time to respond Alexandre. Still not sure I fully understand why it broadcasts a separate SSID, but I have hidden this SSID. 

@ManchesterUK 

You do not want devices connect to Deco mesh???

Options
2023-08-03 15:32:01
I set it to AP mode so I can just extend the signal of the main router. Or am i missing something? Thanks.
Options
2023-08-03 15:33:44

ManchesterUK wrote

I set it to AP mode so I can just extend the signal of the main router. Or am i missing something? Thanks.

@ManchesterUK 

Deco mesh will not extend the signal of the main router. Deco mesh runs its own WiFi network.

Options
2023-08-03 16:02:14
Ah! So you HAVE to join the Deco network to extend the signal? I wrongly assumed if it was extending the signal of the main router via access points. Oops. Guess i need to change all my devices over to the Deco SSID then... Thank you, Jane.
Options
2023-08-04 10:04:32 - last edited 2023-08-08 10:16:52

@ManchesterUK 

Exactly, your Deco SSID will become your new wireless network and you should only connect to that. What I do is disable the WiFi in your main router and then rename the Deco SSID to the same name as your original network with the same password. 

That way your existing devices will just start connecting to deco WiFi without needing to reconnect them all. 

-- Deco X50-POE user
Recommended Solution
Options
2024-01-20 16:39:27

@Alexandre. 

Assume I have the main (ISP) router in one room and 2 deco units in other rooms, connected by Ethernet to that main ISP router (and not to one another).

Could you please explain why deco mesh wont extend the 3rd party router's SSID? Is that the case for any mesh system, that it cannot extend 3rd party (e.g. ISP's router) SSID and need to have it's own Wifi network?

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 997

Replies: 8

Related Articles