Ethernet (hard wired) backhaul Deco BE85

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-08-04 05:01:03

Hi everyone,

I just got the Deco BE85 wifi mesh 3 pack delivered. 

I want to set it up but want to make sure I get some things straight and any suggestions you guys might have. First off, we have a three floor house 5000 sq feet (basement, main floor, top floor). 

1.  I designed our new house so that we have cat6a running to different parts all around the house to allow me to be able to hardwire the units in to take advantage. So my question is that since each unit will be hardwired, the positioning (topology) of the units won't matter for the sake that they won't be wirelessly backhauled and it's a little less of an issue, correct?

2. With that said, because we don't won't be using wireless backhaul, there's no need for me to put the main router on the main floor correct? I heard that's important for wireless backhaul but it won't matter with my only wired configuration. 

2. Even though they will be hardwired in, the positioning is still a question because I want to make sure I have the optimal signal on each floor. This is where I need some ideas. I heard that it's best to stagger the units so if you're looking at a cross section of the home, if I put the first one in the basement on the right side, the above main floor should have it on the left side and then top floor on the right side again? Never on top of one another. Or does that matter in a wired configuration?

im newer to this stuff so please bare with me and thanks in advance!

Farzad

Options
1 Reply
Re:Ethernet (hard wired) backhaul Deco BE85
2023-08-04 14:16:27 - last edited 2023-08-04 14:22:17

@Farzadk85 

I would suggest you review the following TP-Link FAQ: General questions about Ethernet Backhaul feature on your Deco

Answering your questions.

1. The positioning of Deco units is still important, because you need good WiFi coverage all over your house. 

2. You do not need to put Main Deco on the main floor, that is correct. As long as Deco units are properly wired and can use Ethernet backhaul, it does not matter on which floor Main Deco is.

3. If you plan to have one Deco unit per floor, and if floors/ceilings are not WiFi signal friendly, you should put each Deco unit in the middle of its floor. Each Deco will be "responsible" for its floor, so this is the optimal position. One above/below another is fine.

If you find you need more than one per floor, then you may need to reposition them differently. If you find that placing Deco unit in the middle of the floor does not provide good coverage through all floor corners, then consider staggering the units the way you described.

Finding good place for WiFi mesh units in a house is trial and error process. 

Item #3 is general recommendation. In case there is a place on a floor where you need really good WiFi signal (office room, for example) and Ethernet cable comes there, place Deco in that room and then see how is WiFi coverage for the rest of the floor.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 599

Replies: 1

Related Articles