wired network

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

wired network

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
wired network
wired network
2023-08-06 23:30:30 - last edited 2023-08-07 01:10:55

I am using a TL-SF1008P  and 4 EAP115 all new cat 6 with good connections..  One AP is 200' from switch and gets 1/10 the speed.  would Poe+ resolve this issue and if not what will???

Options
26 Reply
Re:wired network
2023-08-07 08:27:51

Hi @smatom 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

It's nothing to do with the PoE. I suggest you check the cable. Is there any bent over? Loop? That could cause the problem. It's having a bad connection and you'll face a problem like this.

If possible, I'd recommend you swap with a different Ethernet cable.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. Don't be a lazy asker. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Options
2023-08-07 08:40:30

@smatom Take the EAP on the 200' run and swap it out with one of the other EAPs. See if the problem follows the EAP or remains with the cable. The length of the cable should not be an issue. 

Options
2023-09-03 21:42:18 - last edited 2023-09-03 21:42:59

I have tried both of your suggestions,  Thank you for your assistance however after following your instructions and replacing all cables and connectors to a total of 4 devices I'm still only getting 10% of what the ISP provides at their modem. I hope you may have some other suggestions.  I have also made sure I am distanced from electrical lines.

Options
2023-09-03 22:46:21

@smatom 

What speed are you getting and what speed is your ISP providing?

If honest this sounds like a limition of the EAP115 which is only WiFi4 2.4ghz and therefore will limit you in real world speeds to around 80mbps, perhaps 100 on good days

Is it the wireless speed you are refering to as lower?  

Options
2023-09-04 11:57:30

thank you for the reply,  ISP is 100 + or - conectted to TL-SF1008P and 5-10 at the EAP115's.  there is also a EAP 225 running of the isp with an injector wireslly to another EAP 225 and are both working well

Options
2023-09-04 11:59:45

@Philbert 

thank you for the reply,  ISP is 100 + or - conectted to TL-SF1008P and 5-10 at the EAP115's.  there is also a EAP 225 running of the isp with an injector wireslly to another EAP 225 and are both working well,  yes i am talking about wireless speed,

Options
2023-09-04 15:34:55

@smatom 

Hey

Yeah sadly in that case it kind re-enforces my thoughts that the issue is with the EAP115.    As this is an older device with a 100mbps LAN port and N Grade wireless its likely the slowest part of your network as you describe it.

The disadvantage of the EAP115 is its only a 2.4ghz device (no 5ghz), therefore will suffer performance issues due to the congested nature of the 2.4ghz frequency.   To be honest, its may be time to consider a replacement for that device (eap 225 would suffice), or if you want to try the settings below.. you may have some more luck.   At best however expect the the EAP115 to max out around the 80mbps speeds.

Things to try

Change the Channel - If you have an android device install WiFi Analyser (free) and let it scan to see what channels are free, it may well be totally congested.    Ideally stick to 1   6  and 11 as the channels, however if its really badly congested try 12 or 13.. note however not all devices work on 12 and 13 so bear that in mind.      Find a good clean(ish) channel and switch to it.   If stuck post a pic of WiFi Analyser here and i will take a look for you

Increase channel width to 40mhz -  This will maximise the throughput on the EAP115 to give you as much speed as possible, at the expense of massively increased interference.

Set of N grade connection only -  Dont allow ABG connections, this will max the speed of devices connection to "upto 300"

Options
2023-09-06 08:50:55

@smatom Your original post you state the following  "One AP is 200' from switch and gets 1/10 the speed." , which makes it sound like you are only experiencing the issue at just one of the APs.  Later posts it sounds like you are having the same issue with all of the EAP 115, so its likely not wiring but a combination of configuration and limitation of the APs. Follow suggestions from Philbert.

Options
2023-10-17 19:46:13

@Philbert Hello, I have tried everrthing you have suggested including replacing 2 EAP 115 with 2 EAP 225.  We rewired network.  I an not getting better performance.  We are in a rural area and have no channle issues but have set everything to ch 6???

Philbert wrote

@smatom 

Hey

Yeah sadly in that case it kind re-enforces my thoughts that the issue is with the EAP115.    As this is an older device with a 100mbps LAN port and N Grade wireless its likely the slowest part of your network as you describe it.

The disadvantage of the EAP115 is its only a 2.4ghz device (no 5ghz), therefore will suffer performance issues due to the congested nature of the 2.4ghz frequency.   To be honest, its may be time to consider a replacement for that device (eap 225 would suffice), or if you want to try the settings below.. you may have some more luck.   At best however expect the the EAP115 to max out around the 80mbps speeds.

Things to try

Change the Channel - If you have an android device install WiFi Analyser (free) and let it scan to see what channels are free, it may well be totally congested.    Ideally stick to 1   6  and 11 as the channels, however if its really badly congested try 12 or 13.. note however not all devices work on 12 and 13 so bear that in mind.      Find a good clean(ish) channel and switch to it.   If stuck post a pic of WiFi Analyser here and i will take a look for you

Increase channel width to 40mhz -  This will maximise the throughput on the EAP115 to give you as much speed as possible, at the expense of massively increased interference.

Set of N grade connection only -  Dont allow ABG connections, this will max the speed of devices connection to "upto 300"

Options
2023-10-17 22:13:27 - last edited 2023-10-17 22:14:42

@smatom 

Can you give us a bit more detail on what device you are using and what frequency its connected at (2.4ghz or 5ghz)..  Also post a pic of your settings if you can, see if anything jumps at us.

How you testing this speed?

On a EAP225 with 5ghz connection, you should be getting 350+ all day long.  That will drop to around 60/80 on 2.4ghz

Give us as much detail as you can and will see if we can help  smiley

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1718

Replies: 26

Related Articles