Weak Security. "WPA/WPA2 (TKIP) is not considered secure."

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-08-09 16:44:16
Model: TL-WA855RE  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

When connected to my Wi-Fi ranger extender (TL-WA855RE) I keep getting the message on my iPhone that that the security is weak and a suggestions to "configure the router to use WPA2 (AES) or WPA3 security type." When I try to configure the security on my router for the extended network, it doesn't show up. I have not updated the firmware since I bought the device 3 years ago. I have no hardware "version" number on the back of my device and don't know which version to choose for the update. These are my questions:

By not changing the security settings to WPA2 (AES) or WPA3 security type, am I placing myself at risk of someone gaining control of the extended Wi-Fi network?

Would updating the firmware on the device remedy the problem? If so, which hardware version should I choose?

Thank you!

Options
1 Reply
Re:Weak Security. "WPA/WPA2 (TKIP) is not considered secure."
2023-08-09 20:09:06

@JCW228 

Hi,

Without knowing the hardware version it's hard to give a good advice.

Have you checked if the hardware version is shown in the web management GUI of the extender?

Furthermore, TP-Link products of recent years also have another copy of the device label stuck to the retail box in which the device was shipped.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 657

Replies: 1

Related Articles