Votes

DNS Caching + IPV6 doesnt seem to cache

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Votes

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-08-10 02:39:16 - last edited 2023-08-11 11:15:14
Tags: #DNSCaching
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 2.1.4

Is there any possibility of DNS Caching enabled for IPV6 responses? Currently all the caches are populated with only v4 addresses. Moreover there is a performance degradation by enabling DNSSEC OR DOT or DOH with DNSCaching when IPV6 enabled. So I have to disable DNS Caching altogether. Are you able to implement anything in future which will make dns caching work on IPV6 and DNSSEC be applied simultaneously.

Options
7 Reply
Re:DNS Caching + IPV6 doesnt seem to cache
2023-08-11 06:22:08

@vnan1829 

it's not ipv6 ready on this router. its design is generally based on ipv4. really suggest you turn ipv6 off. i don't run into issues with performance. 

ScReW yOu gUyS. I aM GOinG hoMe. —————————————————————— For heaven's sake, can you write and describe your issue based on plain fact, common logic and a methodologic approach? Appreciate it.
Options
2023-08-11 06:52:25 - last edited 2023-08-11 11:15:14

Hi @vnan1829 

Thanks for your valuable feedback and post here. This request has been forwarded to the developer team for further evaluation.

You can subscribe to the firmware release thread which is pinned on the related page. Or pay attention to our official website where most releases will show up there very soon.

As a reminder, any request will be evaluated by our developer team before it is officially added to the roadmap. That may take some time before you see a release with this feature.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. Don't be a lazy asker. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Options
2023-08-11 11:14:44

@Tedd404 Hi mate, I am using the beta firmware 2.1.4 where ipv6 works. So my question was in the context of enabling ipv6. This was done to get performance gain by eliminating the NAT. Performance gain can be observed, however cannot use the DNSCache feature with it. That's why requesting to support it in future.

Options
2023-08-13 21:43:35 - last edited 2023-08-13 21:54:42

@vnan1829 

Further to update. After playing with some settings, DNS caching with IPV6 seems to work in some cases.

1. Change the WAN connection to 6to4tunnel type.

2. Change the DNS config in WAN's advanced settings to use ipv6 public dns servers.

Upon doing 1 & 2, DNS Caching works with both v4 and v6.

However, still there is a scope to improve this in DOT, DOH and DNSSec implementations, where currently only ipv4 configurations are allowed.

Also, currently only ipv4 and v6 addresses are allowed in the dns server configurations, I think it should allow domain names as well. Some DNS subscriptions give dns domain names for configuration where ip's are bound to change frequently in a cloud setup.

Options
2023-08-14 00:54:56

@vnan1829 

ipv6 firewall is not enabled on it yet. and probably comes a long way before ipv6 firewall. more like an ipv4-ready router.

ScReW yOu gUyS. I aM GOinG hoMe. —————————————————————— For heaven's sake, can you write and describe your issue based on plain fact, common logic and a methodologic approach? Appreciate it.
Options
2023-08-14 02:10:18 - last edited 2023-08-14 02:13:11

@Tedd404 Thank you very much, that's an eye-opener for me. Then,  is it better off disabling ipv6?

Options
2023-08-14 02:15:09 - last edited 2023-08-14 02:16:56

@vnan1829 

i don't have much knowledge of ipv6 as I am not using ipv6 for myself. haven't dug into this yet.

but from some video I watched, I think better turn if off as ipv6 allows passthrough 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 524

Replies: 7

Voters 0

No one has voted for it yet.

Tags

DNSCaching