Can I set up multi-location VPN with failover WAN at both sites - with a mesh network twist

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Can I set up multi-location VPN with failover WAN at both sites - with a mesh network twist

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-08-17 14:04:34 - last edited 2023-08-22 11:47:26
Tags: #VPN
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version:

Here's the high level: 2 houses in different states, A and B. House B is next to relatives in house C.

House A primary internet is Starlink with a fixed wireless ISP as a failover WAN for when Starlink is down, or at house B. TP-Link hardware is:

• ER605v2 Router
  • TL-SG116 Switch
  • TL-PoE160s PoE Injector (x3)
  • EAP610 Access Point (x3)

House B only has Starlink when occupied. TP-Link hardware is:

• OC200 Controller
  • ER605v2 Router
  • TL-SG1210P Switch
  • EAP600 Ultraslim Access Point (x2)
  • EAP610 Outdoor Access Point

House C always has Starlink - it never leaves. Currently no additional hardware (just the Starlink dish and router)

What I would like to do is VPN the networks at house A and B so they act as one. I would like House A to continue to failover to the fixed wireless when the Starlink is not present. I think I already have a good grasp on how to do this.

Options
3 Reply
Re:Can I set up multi-location VPN with failover WAN at both sites - with a mesh network twist
2023-08-18 03:16:37 - last edited 2023-08-22 11:47:03

Hi @aasukisuki 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

aasukisuki wrote

What I would like to do is VPN the networks at house A and B so they act as one. I would like House A to continue to failover to the fixed wireless when the Starlink is not present. I think I already have a good grasp on how to do this.

IPsec site-to-site VPN on A primary and backup link.

Not sure if you can use IPsec Failover as it requires a valid tunnel for the backup.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. Don't be a lazy asker. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Options
Re:Can I set up multi-location VPN with failover WAN at both sites - with a mesh network twist
2023-08-18 15:55:14 - last edited 2023-08-22 11:47:03

Thanks for the response, @Clive_A.  I posted in the business forum (even though i'm talking about houses) because that's the equipment I purchased, and it was not accessible in the drop-downs on the home forum.  I hope that is ok.

Regarding the IPSec VPN failover, it looks like it is possible according to this documentation:  https://www.tp-link.com/fi/support/faq/3575/

I guess what i'm really trying to ask is given this device configuration for locations B & C:

477d1f093ed5486f99fb48f66b0cd527

Can I configure this to be a "single" network that will use the Location B starlink WAN by default, but if not present/down failover to the Starlink WAN at location C?

Options
2023-08-21 01:29:11 - last edited 2023-08-22 11:47:03

Hi @aasukisuki 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

No. Definitely do not set it up like this. You have two routers. You cannot mesh and bridge them like this. This is gonna crash your network.

If you wanna do something like this, then you gotta get rid of one of the Starlink and router. And use a long-range distance antenna for the bridge setup. We have CPE710 which can offer a 10-20km P2P connection. But the speed may not be super fast. 876 * 0.5 =430Mbps. Ideally, this will be the speed between two sites.

If you wanna keep the router and the Starlink, you gotta set up the VPN then. But I am not sure if Starlink offers you a public IP address. If not, then you cannot use VPN either.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. Don't be a lazy asker. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 413

Replies: 3

Tags

Related Articles