Deco Modes without actual setting

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-08-20 14:28:20 - last edited 2023-08-21 06:57:09
Model: Deco M4  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version:

Deco in Series Mode

Above is My Deco working in a series mode/formation which works best for me as the last one (ManCave) is actually outside of the house. And below is the Deco now out of the series mode/formation which is a terrible mode/formation as it's now linked to the Main Deco. Is there a setting which one needs to turn On for it to go back to the above setting? The Main Deco is also used a router. Is there a way to set it back to the series mode?

Deco out of series mode

Thank you smart people for the help.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Deco Modes without actual setting-Solution
2023-08-20 19:42:32 - last edited 2023-08-21 06:57:09

@StegoNx 

It would be easier if you had M4 (V4), its firmware allows manual configuration of Satellite Deco connection preference. With what you have, it is automatic algorithm only.

This is how it works. Satellite Deco will prefer connection to Main Deco, even if signal between them is weak. If Satellite Deco can't reliably connect to Main Deco, it'll connect to another Satellite Deco.

Satellite Deco usually does not change connection unless it is forced to: it were rebooted, Satellite Deco it is connected to were rebooted, it briefly lost connection to Satellite or Main Deco it is connected to.

I am not sure, but perhaps even running "Network Optimization" from Deco app might force Satellite Deco to reconsider where to connect.

I am guessing when you setup your Deco mesh, the distance and WiFi interference between ManCave and Main Deco made ManCave connect to Drug Den. Then, something have changed and network interference decreased. Next time ManCave was forced to decide where to connect, it has found it can connect to Main Deco.

Note that to try to force ManCave connect to Drug Den, you must restart ManCave only! Restarting other Deco units, simultaneously or separately, will not help and may even have an opposite effect.

Why would network interference decrease? Perhaps, you have replaced microwave, cordless phone system, or Smart TV. Maybe, your neighbor replaced their WiFi router with strong signal for something that interferes less with the environment.

Possible fixes and workarounds have to be based on understanding of Satellite Deco automatic connection preference. These are options I can think of:

1. Connect ManCave to  Drug Den or to Main Deco with Ethernet cable. If you can do that, this is permanent fix.

2. Increase distance between  ManCave and Main Deco. If you can move  ManCave or Main Deco or both in opposite directions from each other, just adding few meters between them may be enough for signal between them to weaken to the point when  ManCave will have to connect to Drug Den.

3. Add WiFi interference between  ManCave and Main Deco. For example, wait till middle of a hot sunny day: solar radiation impacts WiFi networks. Bounce ManCave then, and see.

You can also try other things that known to create WiFi interference: run microwave, talk over cordless phone near ManCave or Main Deco - and bounce ManCave while doing that. Google "why is my WiFi signal weak" for more ideas.

Be even more creative: for example, shield Main Deco with metal tray placed on the side of Main Deco facing ManCave, bounce ManCave.

Note that option 3, if it works, is temporary fix till ManCave is forced to choose where to connect again.

Recommended Solution
Options
4 Reply
Re:Deco Modes without actual setting
2023-08-20 15:28:03

@StegoNx 

If you haven't made mistake in specifying Deco model name (M4) and hardware version (V4), then I have good news for you. Specifically for Deco M4 hardware V4 you can configure how Satellite Deco can connect. See How to select a preferred signal source on the Deco App

Options
2023-08-20 16:19:36

Hi  @Alexandre. 

Thanks for your response. Mine are V2. Unfortunately, I do not have that setting but for a while it was working like that on its own and now it has stopped and I cannot get it back to that formation/mode. I have rebooted them 1 by 1 and it does not go back to that formation/mode. No updates were done on the Deco's which is very strange really what made it stop.

Options
Re:Deco Modes without actual setting-Solution
2023-08-20 19:42:32 - last edited 2023-08-21 06:57:09

@StegoNx 

It would be easier if you had M4 (V4), its firmware allows manual configuration of Satellite Deco connection preference. With what you have, it is automatic algorithm only.

This is how it works. Satellite Deco will prefer connection to Main Deco, even if signal between them is weak. If Satellite Deco can't reliably connect to Main Deco, it'll connect to another Satellite Deco.

Satellite Deco usually does not change connection unless it is forced to: it were rebooted, Satellite Deco it is connected to were rebooted, it briefly lost connection to Satellite or Main Deco it is connected to.

I am not sure, but perhaps even running "Network Optimization" from Deco app might force Satellite Deco to reconsider where to connect.

I am guessing when you setup your Deco mesh, the distance and WiFi interference between ManCave and Main Deco made ManCave connect to Drug Den. Then, something have changed and network interference decreased. Next time ManCave was forced to decide where to connect, it has found it can connect to Main Deco.

Note that to try to force ManCave connect to Drug Den, you must restart ManCave only! Restarting other Deco units, simultaneously or separately, will not help and may even have an opposite effect.

Why would network interference decrease? Perhaps, you have replaced microwave, cordless phone system, or Smart TV. Maybe, your neighbor replaced their WiFi router with strong signal for something that interferes less with the environment.

Possible fixes and workarounds have to be based on understanding of Satellite Deco automatic connection preference. These are options I can think of:

1. Connect ManCave to  Drug Den or to Main Deco with Ethernet cable. If you can do that, this is permanent fix.

2. Increase distance between  ManCave and Main Deco. If you can move  ManCave or Main Deco or both in opposite directions from each other, just adding few meters between them may be enough for signal between them to weaken to the point when  ManCave will have to connect to Drug Den.

3. Add WiFi interference between  ManCave and Main Deco. For example, wait till middle of a hot sunny day: solar radiation impacts WiFi networks. Bounce ManCave then, and see.

You can also try other things that known to create WiFi interference: run microwave, talk over cordless phone near ManCave or Main Deco - and bounce ManCave while doing that. Google "why is my WiFi signal weak" for more ideas.

Be even more creative: for example, shield Main Deco with metal tray placed on the side of Main Deco facing ManCave, bounce ManCave.

Note that option 3, if it works, is temporary fix till ManCave is forced to choose where to connect again.

Recommended Solution
Options
2023-08-21 06:56:54 - last edited 2023-08-21 06:57:06

Hi @Alexandre. 

You are a G! Thank you. Covered Main Deco (Cash Stash) with foil and rebooted ManCave and when it came back up it linked to Drug Den immediately and all is working 100% now and back to the formation/mode which works best.

Thank you once again for taking your time to assist. Appreciate it yes

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 404

Replies: 4

Related Articles