AC750 (TL-WR902AC V3 EU) Share Hotspot mode fails

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-08-26 19:03:20 - last edited 2023-08-27 10:13:58
Tags: #Share Hotspot
Model: TL-WR902AC  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 0.9.1 0.4 Build 220329 ...

Hello, 

i just bought myself the TL-WR902AC EU Travel Router. 

I was planning to setup a private network for my devices while using the hotel wifi. 

That being said, the option I wanted to use was the "Share Hotspot" feature of the travel router. 

The documentation page, for exactly my hardware version → (Link) Support Page Docu Article  → was exactly what i was looking for. 

Now i tried it several times with several wifis, i was always unable to set it up. 

The DHCP which was supposed to happen by the router did in fact never happen, not in a single case. 

No matter what i tried, even reconnecting a different wifi, trying with my phone hotspot wifi, even my private home network which is totally under my control, 

every single time the DHCP did not finish, or eventually didnt even start.

I cant say exactly, as there are no DHCP logs. 

What i can say however is, that in the status page, 2.4 ghz always shows "connected" as status, and i can confirm inside my home network, that the router is in fact connected to my home network. 5GHZ on the other hand always shows "connecting" as status.

The interesting part is, that even though the travel router is connected, DHCP does not seem to happen at all, its only connected by mac, not by IP.

It also only shows a connection speed of "1mbps/1mbps" as current connection speed. that seems rather awkward. 

I tried downloading a different firmware: 

- currently 0.9.1 0.4 Build 220329 ...

- to ??? Build 230223 

But, this does not work: Error Message "You Put wrong File" 

Im really thinking about returning this. 

Thanks, 

Ebiko

I have no idea what may be wrong. 

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:AC750 (TL-WR902AC V3 EU) Share Hotspot mode fails-Solution
2023-08-26 22:42:48 - last edited 2023-08-27 10:13:58

@Ebiko 

Hi,

This TL-WR902AC is a very popular device used successfully by many people.

I could maybe understand if it had problems with an odd wireless network. But you are saying you've already tried to connect to three or four different wireless networks with no luck, which seems unreasonable.

I suggest you restore the TL-WR902AC to Factory Defaults, verify that the little switch is indeed at the "Share Hotspot" position and then try again. For testing purposes it is best to connect to one of your own wireless networks.

Also make sure you test this with at least two different client devices (computer, phone, etc.) to rule out that the DHCP problem is not on the clients side.

Regarding the firmware upgrade problem. Many of TP-Link's devices will only accept a firmware *.bin file that is made for the same region code as the hardware device. (i.e. a "(US)" labelled device might only accept a "(US)" labelled firmware)

Recommended Solution
Options
2 Reply
Re:AC750 (TL-WR902AC V3 EU) Share Hotspot mode fails-Solution
2023-08-26 22:42:48 - last edited 2023-08-27 10:13:58

@Ebiko 

Hi,

This TL-WR902AC is a very popular device used successfully by many people.

I could maybe understand if it had problems with an odd wireless network. But you are saying you've already tried to connect to three or four different wireless networks with no luck, which seems unreasonable.

I suggest you restore the TL-WR902AC to Factory Defaults, verify that the little switch is indeed at the "Share Hotspot" position and then try again. For testing purposes it is best to connect to one of your own wireless networks.

Also make sure you test this with at least two different client devices (computer, phone, etc.) to rule out that the DHCP problem is not on the clients side.

Regarding the firmware upgrade problem. Many of TP-Link's devices will only accept a firmware *.bin file that is made for the same region code as the hardware device. (i.e. a "(US)" labelled device might only accept a "(US)" labelled firmware)

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:AC750 (TL-WR902AC V3 EU) Share Hotspot mode fails
2023-08-27 10:13:52

@woozle 

Hey, 

thanks for the extensive and fast reply. 

Not sure why I didnt try to factory reset the device before, but that seems to have done the trick.

Connecting works. 

I'm pretty sure that it was the Travel Router though. 

Even after connecting the "WAN" setting status always showed 0.0.0.0, for all configs (IP, Subnet, GW,...) 

Autodetecting also always identified "Dynamic IP" correctly - but clicking the "Get IP" button just did nothing. No Error, Just endlessly loading.

Anyway, its fixed with a factory reset. 

And now I also realized that i cant flash the zip directly, i shouldve had extracted the "BIN" file first... 

(I was lacking this information and didnt open the zip for some reason. In some cases devices directly flash from zip files....) 

Thanks, 

Ebiko

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1098

Replies: 2

Tags

Share Hotspot
Related Articles