Several issues with ER605 v1 1.3.0 and Controller

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-08-31 12:11:14
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.3.0

Hi,

I used this router for a very long time, and I only had small issues solved by firmware updates.

Recently, and after the release of 1.3.0 I started to have the following:

- The remote ER605 router is not able to connect to the controller but for some magic reachable from other ER605 router in different locations where the VPN is managed by the Omada controller (Note that all worked after the upgrades until I made a restart of the local router)

- I have 2 WANs (1 as backup) connected to one of the ER605 router and one appears always offline also if correctly working

- Extremely slow interface (using the Omada controller)

- I have several Alexa devices that appear as connected but are unable to communicate correctly with the Amazon systems

- DHCP assigning the same address at multiple devices

For clarity, I have 2 locations:

A:
 - ER605 (Connected to two WANs - 2nd one used for backup)

- OC200

B:

- ER605 Normally connected to the first location but appears as disconnected. Still reachable via VPN setup in Omada

I tried to get support for this, but I got just standard answers, not really helpful.

Thank you

Options
6 Reply
Re:Several issues with ER605 v1 1.3.0 and Controller
2023-08-31 13:59:09

@Birillo 

You will probably see better performance when the 2.1.4 beta firmware.  

https://community.tp-link.com/en/business/forum/topic/615998

Make sure you are on the latest controller OC200 version too. 

I can not teach anyone anything - I can only make them think - Socrates
Options
2023-08-31 14:01:48

Hi @KimcheeGUN 

The HW version of my router and also OC200 are v1.
I don't think I can use that firmware

Options
2023-08-31 14:12:47 - last edited 2023-08-31 14:13:10

@Birillo 

Ah, my bad!  Return it and buy a 605 V2... it will save you a headache.  

I can not teach anyone anything - I can only make them think - Socrates
Options
2023-09-01 03:12:50

Hi @Birillo 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

Birillo wrote

Hi,

I used this router for a very long time, and I only had small issues solved by firmware updates.

- The remote ER605 router is not able to connect to the controller but for some magic reachable from other ER605 router in different locations where the VPN is managed by the Omada controller (Note that all worked after the upgrades until I made a restart of the local router)

This one is kinda strange. Can you provide the ping result and tunnel screenshots? Network diagram with IP specified. What if you reconnect the tunnel or reboot the router?

Birillo wrote

- I have 2 WANs (1 as backup) connected to one of the ER605 router and one appears always offline also if correctly working

Not sure if you have ever read the link backup guide on our official website. I think it explains.

How to configure Link Backup on Dual WAN Router using the new GUI

Birillo wrote

What kind of browser do you use? Safari? We don't support Safari very well. Kernel is based on Chromium. We have feedback on Safari's slow loading.

Latest Chrome or Firefox, we don't have any issues with the V5.9 Omada Controller. 

Birillo wrote

- I have several Alexa devices that appear as connected but are unable to communicate correctly with the Amazon systems

How do you determine that?

What are the symptoms?

Have you checked the DNS to make sure it can resolve the Amazon domains?

Birillo wrote

After your update, have you tried to reboot the router? I don't think there is an issue with the 1.3.0. If you just updated to 1.3.0, then you probably upgraded from an early version with bugs in DHCP.

So, with this description, do you literally run into problems in your network?

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. Don't be a lazy asker. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Options
2023-09-01 07:24:32

Clive_A wrote

Hi @Birillo 

Birillo wrote

Hi,

This one is kinda strange. Can you provide the ping result and tunnel screenshots? Network diagram with IP specified. What if you reconnect the tunnel or reboot the router?

192.168.68.1 is the IP of the ER605 in location B. I can reach the web interface and it says that it is managed by Omada.
Ping done from Location A

If I restart the routers on both sides, the VPN connection is reestablished, but the remote router continue to appear as Disconnected.

Birillo wrote

Not sure if you have ever read the link backup guide on our official website. I think it explains.

How to configure Link Backup on Dual WAN Router using the new GUI

Yes I read it. 
Before the update the connection to the backup router has always been marked as Online.
Not it is marked as Offline. 
I made a test disconnecting the main cable and apparently the backup went online.
Is this the expected behavior now? It was not like that before.

Birillo wrote

What kind of browser do you use? Safari? We don't support Safari very well. Kernel is based on Chromium. We have feedback on Safari's slow loading.

Latest Chrome or Firefox, we don't have any issues with the V5.9 Omada Controller. 

Yes I realised it yesterday after sending the email. 
What is strange is that I have always used Safari with the Omada interface and to be honest I have never had this extremely slow behavior. 

Birillo wrote

How do you determine that?
I tried to connect using a different router and I do not have the same issues.
The issue seems to be random. Some devices are working and other not and then randomly they start working.

What are the symptoms?

The Alexa devices are connected to the router and can reach internet. They get notifications and I can change the settings remotely.
If for instance I ask to play music, it says that there is no internet connection.

Have you checked the DNS to make sure it can resolve the Amazon domains?

I have tested different DNSs but with same results. In any case several Echo devices can still connect correctly.

I am currently using 8.8.8.8 / 8.8.4.4

Birillo wrote

After your update, have you tried to reboot the router? I don't think there is an issue with the 1.3.0. If you just updated to 1.3.0, then you probably upgraded from an early version with bugs in DHCP.

So, with this description, do you literally run into problems in your network?

I am using 1.3.0. I noticed it yesterday. I am going to check again later today.

Thank you for your reply and support

@Clive_A 

Options
2023-09-04 09:41:45

Hi @Birillo 

Does it persist this week for the VPN issue? Adoption. I think you should use Discovery Utility or set up the DHCP option 138 and Controller inform URL for the ER605 on the other site of the VPN tunnel. Specify the LAN IP of the controller on this ER605, so it should reconnect to the controller.

How to manage EAPs at different sites across Internet using Omada Controller (via VPN Tunnel with EAP Discover Utility) (Old UI)

This is old but still helpful for you to use the discovery utility. Just refer to the discovery utility that part and inform your router Controller IP.

About the link backup, it always appears to be so. I think this change was implemented a very long time ago, even before 1.3.0.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. Don't be a lazy asker. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Options